Please help. White fluffy infection and brawnish spots

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Pluisje

Please help. White fluffy infection and brawnish spots

Post by Pluisje »

Dear all,
Can someone help me with identifying the problem with my cactus, please.
This one is very dear to me.

I have treated it several times (with a week interval) with a triazole fungicide (Tebuconazole), but it didn't help.

Thank you in advance.
Svetlana

PS Note, it has a natural pretty white pattern on the body next to these ugly fluffy particles and brown spots.
Attachments
tn_P1090145.JPG
tn_P1090145.JPG (120.8 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
tn_P1090146.JPG
tn_P1090146.JPG (107.05 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
tn_P1090147.JPG
tn_P1090147.JPG (122.06 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
tn_P1090148.JPG
tn_P1090148.JPG (98.58 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
tn_P1090152.JPG
tn_P1090152.JPG (132.37 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
gemhunter178

Re: Please help. White fluffy infection and brawnish spots

Post by gemhunter178 »

It's the mealy bug- I myself haven't had them-yet,but I read you can just rub them with rubbing alcohol, I don't know if this hurts the plant though. Also, I hope you isolated that from other cacti, they can spread.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

Remove as many as possible with tweezers first, then spray the plant with alcohol, isopropanol or ethanol. I think your plant can withstand 100%, but if you want to play safe you can go down to 70 %. Watch the plant carefully over the next month and repeat the treatment if necessary. This is usually enough when there is just a few bugs present, but in your case (which is severe) a systemic insecticide could be useful too.
Pluisje

Post by Pluisje »

Thank you both very much for useful suggestions.
I looked up for more information on the mealy bug and the good news is that the chance of survival is not too bad.
Yes, I isolated the cactus together with its neighbour suffering from the same bug.
I will follow your instructions, thanks a lot!
iann

Post by iann »

I can pretty much guarantee that if you pick off every visible bug and spray the whole thing with rubbing alcohol, then they will be back again within a year :D
--ian
Pluisje

Post by Pluisje »

What is your suggestion, Iann?
iann

Post by iann »

Pluisje wrote:What is your suggestion, Iann?
Systemic insecticide. Otherwise you could try spraying every few weeks for ... six months? Wouldn't kill root mealies though.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I concur with Ian: Physical removal is not enough. They are tenacious and I've always had them come back without using systemic.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Pluisje

Post by Pluisje »

Thanks for your replies!
Yesterday I removed the bugs mechanically, brushed off with ethanol wiped toothbrush from the difficult places and then sprayed with Thiacloprid.
I am now excited to see the results.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Pluisje wrote:Thanks for your replies!
Yesterday I removed the bugs mechanically, brushed off with ethanol wiped toothbrush from the difficult places and then sprayed with Thiacloprid.
I am now excited to see the results.
I use Imidacloprid, but I think that's basically the same as what you're using. However, spraying doesn't last long, so it would be better to use Thiacloprid as a soil soak. A systemic approach is much more effective because the plant's juices become toxic to mealies, and it should last for a few months. Better yet, it also takes care of root mealies -- all you can see right now is above-ground, so who knows what may be lurking in the soil.

Two things:

1. I don't know if the Thiacloprid spray has the proper dilution rate for using as a systemic. I can only go by what I'm using with Imidacloprid. My preferred choice is Bayer Advanced Complete insect killer with 0.72% Imidacloprid. Ratio is 1 tablespoon Bayer Advanced per quart of water thoroughly mixed. If this corresponds with your Thiacloprid, all you need to do is take off the cap, pour out the proper amount of liquid, then dilute in water. If you have any concerns about the dilution rate, find out if other members on the forum can give you further advice.

2. A soil soak won't do any good right now since your cacti aren't taking moisture in the roots. Spring is the best time, and I'd say early April. If you can put up with spraying a little longer, go for the systemic when your cacti are underway in the growing season.

Hope this helps!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Just a note. the little bugs have a gestation period of 8 days. You may kill all of the active larvae and adults with a contact spray, but not the eggs. Every 8 days for three cycles will do the job, or the systemic way is the best.

I have expert grower friends who will unpot such a plant, clean off all of the soil and submerge the plant, roots and all in a light dishwashing soap solution. Minimum 30 minutes, up to several hours. The plant does not mind and the bugs, eggs and all are either killed by the water, or the soap which melts their exoskeletons.
Buck Hemenway
Pluisje

Post by Pluisje »

Thank you all for all the useful advises! They are really very much appreciated.
I feel like after the treatment I need to give it a rest right now (?). Just to give it a good spring start. I don't dare to touch the roots now :-k .
Perhaps a good idea to spray every 8 days for three cycles, thanks Buck Hemenway.
I will observe it closely, may the bugs come back I will do the soil soak or something like this later, in the spring, when my plant is a bit stronger.
Thanks everyone!
dattdude

Post by dattdude »

Bacilus thuringiensis in the water might work to kill bug infestations in the soil or roots. They are doughnuts sold as mosquito larvae killing insecticide in all the gardening stores. It works by attacking the digestive system of mosquito larvae so it probably kills any bug larvae. it is environmentally friendly as well. I just drop a doughnut in my rain water barrels every 3 months.
Zone 4a possible -35 F
Pluisje

Post by Pluisje »

Very intresting idea! Thanks for sharing Dattdude!