TimN 2012 Photo Topic

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: TimN 2012 Photo Topic

Post by hegar »

Hello Tim,

I like your collection of Ariocarpus cacti. They look all healthy and all those flower buds (blossoms) prove it. Most of my plants of that genus are now in 14 inch bowls and I had more flowers this year than any year before. I shall know more about how they are doing come next spring.
Is that white flowering A. kotschoubeyanus a plant, which you purchased, knowing that it would produce white blossoms or did you just get lucky and the flower color is a mutation?
One of my Ariocarpus cacti, which did produce a nice, large, pink flower two or three years in a row now, is an A. retusus x agavoides hybrid, which I bought from Miles. I love the deep pink blossoms of your A. agavoides plants. So I am planning to purchase at least two of those and hope, that they will do as well as my A. agavoides hybrid. Do you grow your Ariocarpus cacti in full sun, or do they need to be in filtered light?

Harald
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

Great ariocarpus collection :thumbup: . TimN have you noticed any spines(one single spine) on the tip of the tubercule on ariocarpus retusus and any other ariocarpus, I'm just curious because mine has a small spine on the tip of the tubercule.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks Harald and Dodi,

As far as spines on Ariocarpus, the only one of my plants that has ever had spines is A. agavoides. It was when the tubercles were fairly young and then they fell off. Nothing on any of the others, though.

I didn't know the A. retusus had a white flower when I bought it. It was a sad scratch and dent plant at a sale and it had one tubercle with two arioles. It made one other tubercle like that, but none since. I have an A. kotchoubeyanus with white flowers. Now I have seedlings with various levels of whiteness or pinkness.

I have all the ariocarpus getting sun all day under 50% shade cloth. I have no doubt they would be fine without the shade cloth.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

A couple of more pictures mostly from yesterday.

This is an older picture. Not sure if I've posted it before. A. lloydii
A lloydii.jpg
A lloydii.jpg (130.45 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
This is the white flowered A. retusus. The flowers last more than two days. Many of the other Ariocarpus flowers fold up in one day.
A retusus 2.jpg
A retusus 2.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
This is my other A. retusus. It looks like white flowers here, but the outside of the petals have a pink stripe. The petals themselves have a pinkish hue.
A retusus b 1.jpg
A retusus b 1.jpg (96.94 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
Strombo disciformis made some flowers yesterday. I tried to pollinate them, we'll see. I had a fruit on the front plant that I let mature. It split open and all the tiny seeds fell out. Hopefully some will germinate in the pot.
S disciformis.jpg
S disciformis.jpg (118.39 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus (I think).

This one has one or two big flushes of flowers early in the spring. This is the first one. The plant is about the size of a large chicken egg.
T schmiedickeanus b.jpg
T schmiedickeanus b.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
T schmiedickeanus a.jpg
T schmiedickeanus a.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 5644 times

Tim
7george

Post by 7george »

Looking at flowers and spines this can be Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. rubriflorus.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
TimN

Post by TimN »

It's entirely possible. I bought it without provenance on the Internet. I'll check it against my Turbi book tonight.

After I put the freeze cloth on. We are supposed to have overnight lows in the low 30's for the next two days.

Tim
C And D

Post by C And D »

Your Turbinicarpus NOID is a T. gielsdorfianus

Check this page
http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... sdorfianus

Love your collection, keep up the photos
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Edwindwianto

Post by Edwindwianto »

@TimN
Just found it, that you had a blog

Wow, that Arios make me envy...
Keep up the good work 👍

EDWIN
C And D wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm Your Turbinicarpus NOID is a T. gielsdorfianus
T. gielsdorfianus = white flower, black spine

From the book The Genus Turbinicarpus, page 39
Spine = black
Flower = ivory colored
Screenshot_2020-02-04-10-22-21-1.png
Screenshot_2020-02-04-10-22-21-1.png (126.2 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
From the book The Cactus Family, page 667
Spine = dark tip
Flower = white
Screenshot_2020-02-04-10-29-57-1.png
Screenshot_2020-02-04-10-29-57-1.png (225.11 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TimN wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm Wow, I can't believe I sold a four-headed P. strobiliformis! Ah, well, I sold a lot of nice plants a few years back. I am definitely interested in seeing what it's up to now.
The Pelecyphora I got from you increased its head count a little bit -- check this out:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 85#p372485

Scroll down, and I think you'll like what you see. Thanks, Tim! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
TimN

Post by TimN »

Steve, I actually saw the photos in your thread. Very nice! Its nice to see growth on that old plant! It sure has a lot of character. I love your timeline photos, I don't notice the growth that much, but the photos show it well. I"ll have to dig up my oldest pictures of my oldest plants...

Tim
keith

Post by keith »

Hi I think Steve was asking about one of these Pelecyphora aselliformis. Not sure what a real price for these is ? years ago they were cheaper but now IDK ? I remember years ago Arizona cactus sales was selling a pot full of these guys for 100 bucks - I should have bought it .

If you really wanted one I would call Miles and ask him he used to have giant specimens at his greenhouse. Of course this was 10 years ago. He sometimes has rare stuff not listed for sale that he will sell.
Attachments
FYI Pelecyphora aselliformis
FYI Pelecyphora aselliformis
Capture.JPG (23.09 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
TimN

Post by TimN »

I got a couple of small seedlings from EBay from a guy in eastern Europe. They are doing well, even after one was uprooted by a bird and hid it for a week.

My strobiliformis are doing gangbusters, if I could just pollinate one to get some seeds.

Dang, how do I miss these crazy bargains At AZ cactus sales or Miles?

Tim
keith

Post by keith »

Dang, how do I miss these crazy bargains At AZ cactus sales or Miles?" It was a long time ago ( 10 years) before cactus got expensive.

You don't have any Mammillaria humboltii in your collection by any chance ? I guess they do OK in AZ in the extreme heat. Talking about extreme heat I read a heat wave is days away.