My little cacti garden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
jamesfe

My little cacti garden

Post by jamesfe »

Under a blanket of recent snow. Opuntia humifusa, Opuntia fragilis, Cylindropuntia whipplei and Cylindropuntia kleiniae.
Attachments
100_2250.jpg
100_2253.jpg
100_2253.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
hoteidoc

Re: My little cacti garden

Post by hoteidoc »

Hey, Jim - Looks familiar & only because we got 3 - 4 " of snow over the weekend. Curious what all you have "C & S"-wise outdoors. I have a little roadside stand & have expanded my cactophilia into cold-hardies (naturally) so I can show people what's possible in this area. Have 3 O. "humifusa" that are already winter-tested. I put in some of the standard Echinocer's -- coccineus, reichenbac., engelmanni, triglochid., & Esc. missour & vivip. Pads of O. polyacantha, aurea & fragilis went in late Oct. Don't know if they're going to make it because of the last 3 mos of gray, wet & 30's. But I "met" fellow cactophilic Michiganer on a Flickr (cold-hardy) group who also has some agave's. I've recently spotted some yucca's that could work, too. Cylindroopuntia's I have quite "warmed" up to -- yet.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
RayC

Post by RayC »

Very nice. I have a few Cylindropuntia in my garden here in Ct but they don't appear to be nearly as happy with conditions as yours do.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

haha they sure seem to be happy. My O. humifusa despite the one night so far that was below freezing at 31.3F have shown no signs of waking up yet. On the other hand the O. engelmannii and O. phaeacantha are starting to bud up :) (til today) we had nice warm sunny weather in the 70s and 80s. Interesting how different some climates are and yet how some plants are acting the same in different climates.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
jamesfe

Post by jamesfe »

This is when I call them happy.
Attachments
100_1481.jpg
100_1481.jpg (232.78 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
100_1920.jpg
100_1920.jpg (229.31 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

haha yup I would call them happy :D
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.