Stapleia cult tips?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Hornet

Stapleia cult tips?

Post by Hornet »

Hi guys, i grow a few succulents but here in QLD australia things get a bit wet in summer and i often lose plants to rot (few on their way out at the moment). I love my stapelia's and related genera and luckily i havent had any rot probs with them as of yet. I have about 6 species from 2 or 3 genera at the moment but they dont seem keen on flowering. They may be getting a bit much shade since we moved. 2 questions, should extra light help with flowering? And what measures can i take to prvent rot on more tender species? I was thinking of using a small greenhouse (cheap little thing from the hardware store with a plastic cover), it will keep the rain out but i'm worried it will act as an oven in the sun and just cook them.

Any ideas?
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi, Hornet,
would you mind to post some pictures? It is always easier to write something if you see HOW & WHERE your plants really live. Maybe they still need some time to acclimatize?

Well, on a general basis: I give my Stapelias well draining, rich soil, i.e. a mix of normal potting soil with sand and a bit of small pebbles. I often add a touch of horn or hoof meal as fertilizer.

During the warm season I place my plants outside. How much sun they get depends on the species: Some get full blast, others I place in the shade of the tomato plants. There I drain them on a regular basis, but we have quite some wind here that helps to drain them again. They don't mind the loads of rain we have here again and again.

I have no experiences with a glass house. I would take care that you don't cook your plants, so vent it well.

We now have the cold season: I take my plants inside when temperatures are about 5°-10°C / 40°-50°F. During the cold period I do not stop watering, but cut it down to prevent rot. This is the critical season according to mealy bugs, so I inspect the plants carefully on a regular basis.
I have less problems with rot than with mealy bugs...

Hope this helps...? Otherwise, please ask again!
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Light will help them bloom. Frost can kill some. I think the big thing (I have 100 or so species) is wetness when it's cool or cold.

Something practical is NOT transplanting them too soon. If the roots are all packed together there's less chance for rot. So if it rains more than once per week in cool times of the year, even lots of shade is better than wet.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Don't forget that many of the bloom in the fall.
Buck Hemenway