Lost in Northeast Los Angeles

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
amanzed

Lost in Northeast Los Angeles

Post by amanzed »

Hi, I've written a few posts, but I don't think I've introduced myself here.

I joined CSSA in 2009 and San Gabriel Valley CSS in 2010. Soon I learned many of our number are members of multiple clubs, so I may be joining LACSS soon. (And so the disease progresses...)

I love going to shows and sales, and I've entered a grand total of 1 plant in Inter-City (my little Adromischus herrei select clone won 3rd prize). I grow around 500 plants (though drawing up a proper list is on my To Do list).

To celebrate 20 years together, I traveled with my husband to South Africa, partly to see succulents in habitat (and proceeded to break my femur just outside The World of Birds... long story but I'm 99.9% better).

I have resisted specializing, but I definitely have plants I love:
Otherworldly species, the stranger the better;
Species with exaggerated prickles, thorns, or spines;
Species with weird colors or textures;
Homely unprepossessing green-stick euphorbs and asclepiads (today I was excited to see my Cynanchum socotranum blooming its humble, green flower for me for the first time);
Species from Madagascar;
Species from Socotra or Yemen.

I attended Succulent Symposium for the first time in 2011 and had a fantastic time. (I thank SGVCSS for the privilege.) I absolutely adore reading more about these plants, and I'm always trying to add to my knowledge and skills.

I have met many of you in person (and bought many of your plants already!). I look forward to getting to know more of you and more about our fascinating plants.

--dean
PS I participate at Xeric World and Dave's Garden. By profession, I am a classical bass-baritone solo singer -- freelance like all US opera singers -- at Metropolitan Opera and lots of other places over the past 15 years. My education was in mathematics: undergrad at Caltech and graduate work at UCLA. I am also a writer.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Dean, we have most likely been at the same place at the same time at one point or another as I get to those shows and sales every once and awhile.
Unfortunately I have yet to get to the intercity show due to unforeseen circumstances, but next year for sure.
I know we know a lot of the same people because as you say, many of my fellow Gates members are members at SGVCSS.
I wish I had the time to be a member of multiple clubs but I tried, and had to make a choice, I chose the one with far less traffic in my way. I have been thinking of trying that drive again though.

It sounds like we grow a lot of the same types of plants, Hopefully we will meet in person sometime.

Welcome to the forums! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Ken Shaw

Post by Ken Shaw »

Hi Dean,

We've met at some meetings and shows. Thanks for sharing this information - we'll have to talk music the next time I see you. I hope to drop in at the LA club this week.

Congratulations on your Inter-City win. That's a positive diagnostic sign that the disease is progressing!
"I like the spikey ones
better than the squashy ones"
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

So nice to meet you! Welcome aboard!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Hey Dean,
Like Tony, we've probably walked past each other several times as we're at all the shows, though we missed the symposium this year. I think you may have met my wife, Jen at the CSSA sale at the HBG. I take it we'll see you next month.

Welcome!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I haven't met you in person, but I feel like I know you already from all your other posts. :thumbup:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) :hello2: Helloooooooooooooo Dean....
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image