Larvae

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Bruce

Larvae

Post by Bruce »

Anybody know what kind of larvae these are? They seem to be optimized to suck juice and poop black balls...

Thanks.

Bruce
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
Auxnorm

Post by Auxnorm »

I had some of those on one of my cactus. I squashed them and now I have treated all my cactus with systemic pesticide for those bugs and others.
Auxnorm

Post by Auxnorm »

Seems I found what they are.
Black Scale: Black Scale can usually be found on citrus plants, olive trees and vines. These small black insects cover the plants’ leaves and stems. This can reach a level where they can stunt the growth of the plant, as the plant is denied the necessary sunlight it requires to grow. In addition to this, Black Scale will sap the nutrients from the plant, excreting the residue honeydew. Like the Aphids, these sap suckers create honeydew, which attracts Ants and Sooty Mould.
Control: For small amounts of Black Scale, you can get of this simply by brushing it off the stem or leaf with a toothbrush or knife. For larger infestations, spray the plant with a special treatment for this pest, or alternatively, you can spray oil on the plant which will suffocate the Black Scale within a few days. You can mix regular vegetable oil with liquid soap, dilute this with water and spray on your plants, however be sure not to spray oil during hot sunny weather, as this could end up burning the plants’ leaves.
http://www.homehelp4u.net/tipsandplanni ... _pests.php
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for the input but I'm pretty sure the black blobs aren't bugs but rather bug poop. If you look carefully, each of the larva has a black blob at the tip of its body. I don't know what else it could be besides poop.
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
jessr

Post by jessr »

fungus gnat larvae?

can't quite see yours close enough to tell but maybe these are close?
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/ ... Larvae.php