Cactus growing long and thin rather round and fat! (pics)

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
biohazzard

Cactus growing long and thin rather round and fat! (pics)

Post by biohazzard »

I've had this plant for many years. The original plant at my father's house has nice round, fat growths. I've been told mine look this way due to not getting enough light and are "reaching" for light. For years, surely enough it didn't get much light but since we moved, get full sun. I give it a good soak weekly to the point that water drains from the pot. Any suggestions on how I can improve its health?
iann

Post by iann »

Looks like you've already fixed it. The new growth is fine, the old growth is etiolated from lack of light. The old growth will never fatten up.
--ian
biohazzard

Post by biohazzard »

Mods, I didn't realize there is a better section for this. Hopefully it can be moved. Sorry.
biohazzard

Post by biohazzard »

iann wrote:Looks like you've already fixed it. The new growth is fine, the old growth is etiolated from lack of light. The old growth will never fatten up.
Is this why they have a bulbous shape? That's too bad because now the plant is very weak.
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, that's the bulbous shape. You can cut off some pieces and root them to get a normal shape. The two largest heads aren't too bad, although they wouldn't win any prizes at a plant show.
--ian
biohazzard

Post by biohazzard »

Here is another one that I have. The upper parts of the heads have a nice, plump, green look to them. I assume they are healthy but as you can see, they won't stay upright unless propped against something. :idea:
iann

Post by iann »

Off with their heads!
--ian
biohazzard

Post by biohazzard »

iann wrote:Off with their heads!
I can simply cut the fat part off? BTW, I'm not in any way knowledgeable about cacti.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Wow, that's neat looking. Like a cluster of giant turbinicarpus.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Yep, cut some tops off neatly with a sharp knife. Leave an inch or so of the narrow part. You'll want something kind of egg-shaped. No too much of a tail, but some.

Let them dry in a warm shady place with some airflow (i.e. not in a plastic box) for a week or so, then pot them up.

I usually sprinkle them with water on occasion to try to keep them from shriveling up too much. They should root and start growing in a few weeks.

When they have some roots start watering as you normally do, letting it get dry-ish between watering.

Good luck, you'll have some nice plants soon. If you leave the old plants, they will make more offsets which you can then use to repeat the process.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
biohazzard

Post by biohazzard »

TimN wrote:Yep, cut some tops off neatly with a sharp knife. Leave an inch or so of the narrow part. You'll want something kind of egg-shaped. No too much of a tail, but some.

Let them dry in a warm shady place with some airflow (i.e. not in a plastic box) for a week or so, then pot them up.

I usually sprinkle them with water on occasion to try to keep them from shriveling up too much. They should root and start growing in a few weeks.

When they have some roots start watering as you normally do, letting it get dry-ish between watering.

Good luck, you'll have some nice plants soon. If you leave the old plants, they will make more offsets which you can then use to repeat the process.
Thanks! I'm gonna' give it a shot! Out of curiosity, what will happen to the now headless plants?
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi,
Thanks! I'm gonna' give it a shot! Out of curiosity, what will happen to the now headless plants?
They will probably offset like crazy. If you keep them in strong light new growth will be nice and fat. Probably a good source of new plants if you wish.

Cheers,

Eduart