One Seed Growing Approach

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lolavy

Re: One Seed Growing Approach

Post by Lolavy »

SDK1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 pm
No problem, hope it helps. The running water soak is just one part of the equation but maybe it makes a big difference for some people. Good luck with resolving your germination issues.
Once I realized that the smallest stream coming out of my sink would waste about 3 gallons an hour, and that it will be raining for the next few days in LA, I changed my plans a bit, combining ideas from the last two posts.

After a 10 minute 40% bleach soak, and an initial 3 hour running water soak in the sink, I put together this setup outside (the empty glassware is to capture rain water that I’ll sterilize afterwards in a pressure cooker). I’ll report back on how things turn out.
Attachments
Rain Water Seed Soak
Rain Water Seed Soak
IMG_2024-02-04-170514.jpeg (275.76 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
USDA Hardiness Zone: 10b
Lolavy

Re: One Seed Growing Approach

Post by Lolavy »

Even though we’ve had a bit more rain in SoCal than normal this winter, I’ve been experimenting with options to effectuate a running water cleanse without actually having to run water from the tap for hours on end.

Using a magnetic stirrer, I’ve been placing the seeds in mesh bags, and then suspending them in a bowl or jar of water that has a magnet at the bottom to create a constant swirl of water created by the magnetic force. My thought is that the constant movement of the water is creating conditions similar to the running water.

Here, you can see the motion in the water before any bags are placed in the sieve.
Bowl with sieve on top of the magnetic stirrer
Bowl with sieve on top of the magnetic stirrer
IMG_7843.jpeg (274.73 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Recently, I’ve abandoned the sieve, and use a chopstick to suspend the bags over a small bowl. You can’t see the swirling of the water in the photo, but it’s perceptible in person. I also will lift the bags up every few hours to make sure the magnetic stirrer is still doing it’s job.
Mesh bags with seeds suspended over a bowl of swirling water
Mesh bags with seeds suspended over a bowl of swirling water
IMG_2024-04-05-122513.jpeg (130.92 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
I’ve now used this approach on three batches of seeds, and while the jury is still out on the effectiveness (I don’t think I’ve gotten the formula right as far as soil mix and using a top dressing), I have had zero issues with mold or damping off since I started using this method.

The one potential problem I have is that when I go over 48 hours (I usually change out the water every 12-24 hours, and use only rain water in the final 24 hour soak), some of the seeds start to germinate early. However, those seeds seem to get stunted once sowed in soil, and don’t fully germinate. I’ve also been using the C&D method of sowing, spraying the seeds with Physan 20 -> Full Strength Chinosol -> Germination Water, so I’m not sure if the early germinated seeds are absorbing too many chemicals during the sowing process, thus stunting their growth? No idea, but I’m going to limit the Swirl Rinse to 48 hours and see if this keeps happening. I had also been using Chinosol at 10% strength (similar to germination water) for the first 12-24 hour swirl, but I checked the PH last time and it was ~4-4.5, so I’m also going to stop doing that and see if I have any different results. Will update if these tweaks to this method are effective.
USDA Hardiness Zone: 10b