seedlings growing too close to each other

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
dajindo

seedlings growing too close to each other

Post by dajindo »

Hi!

I have some Trichocereus seedlings but some are growing so close to each other that they're almost touching.
They just got their first spines, and I was wondering should I leave them or try to seperate them?

They are also a bit etiolated, but after I put them under a CFL light, they continued growing normally. Will that etiolation make a problem in the future?

Thanks! :D
John C

Re: seedlings growing too close to each other

Post by John C »

dajindo wrote:They just got their first spines, and I was wondering should I leave them or try to seperate them?
No need to repot them. They will be fine growing next to each other. I think it would be to young to succesfully repot anyways.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
dajindo

Post by dajindo »

Thanks!

I also have one more issue and don't want to start a new topic, so I'll ask here:

Some seedlings were in dry soil for some time (my fault :oops:), so a few of them got really really skinny, and look quite sick. :(
I watered them and now the soil is fine.
Will they recover and become fatter or stay this way?

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I've heard it said that Cacti seedlings do better when crowded, but that may be just a rumor.

If the seedlings that got too dry are still alive, then they should recover.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I think its mostly one of those urban myths of gardening, a result of poor observational skills followed by much repetition. Cactus seedlings tolerate being packed like sardines. At least the ones that survive do! It is easy to imagine that 100 seedlings packed into a small pot are doing much better than 5 seedlings widely scattered in the same space and looking a little lost. Perhaps it is because they like being packed together? Perhaps it is because you sowed 1,000 seeds of a fast-growing species in a tiny pot :)

My observations of the same seed sown tightly together or widely spaced is that the widely spaced seedlings grow faster. There may be a case for not transplanting too soon or too often, but there is also no benefit to the plants in leaving them without space to grow or room for their roots.
--ian
dajindo

Post by dajindo »

I have seedlings that grow together and the ones growing separately, and I've noticed no correlation between space between seedlings. Although, some of the biggest seedlings are those growing separately, but 90% of my seedlings grow that way, so I can't say for sure.

guys, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!
i love this forum :wink: