My first grafted

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
angelo

My first grafted

Post by angelo »

I have always been contrary to the grafts since I see how an unnatural solution but for some plants a lot of difficulties to be cultivatedm,i believe that am the only way to make to survive her or to very quickly grow. I had never performed any grafts it is this bottom they are the first attempts.

all plant is grafted on myrtillocactus in 27/06/10

discocactus araneispinus
today,later around 4 months

Astrophytum supekabuto x hanazono

today

Pediocactus simpsonii

later

discocatus horstii

new entry, only grafted two week, sown at may
E.delaetii

Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

Looking good :thumbright:
Do you use any special method?
/Christer
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

they look very nice and healthy, good choices too!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
angelo

Post by angelo »

Christer,i use the classical method but covering with a film the whole plant so that you are not dehydrated too much because of the cut.

Thanks for you appreciations Tony :)

yes Arjen, to the moment they seem to grow well and the mirtyllocactuses were a forced choice because I didn't have other plants.
Skif_S

Post by Skif_S »

Myrtillocactus is not a good stock for Pediocactus and Echinocereus because differ from it by frost-hardity, but Discocactus-Myrtillocactus is ideal variant. Astrophytum myriostigma is a best stock for A.Super Kabuto on my view.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

skif, I disagree, a little. what you say is true, however a lot of stock isn't frost hardy (hylocereus, pereskiopsis,selenicereus) that doesn't make it incompatible.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Skif_S

Post by Skif_S »

StrUktO wrote:skif, I disagree, a little. what you say is true, however a lot of stock isn't frost hardy (hylocereus, pereskiopsis,selenicereus) that doesn't make it incompatible.
I meant that Myrtillocactus and Discocactus require warm wintering (15-20 C) and Pediocactus and Echinocereus in cold one(0-5 C). Myrtillocactus perish at temperature near 5 C frequently.
angelo

Post by angelo »

Skif_S wrote:Myrtillocactus is not a good stock for Pediocactus and Echinocereus because differ from it by frost-hardity........
the myrtillocactus it was the only plant to disposition to grafted. I know that they fear the cold but here where I live the temperatures they don't go down under the 7-10°.
I will try to make some graft of sk x hanaz. on myriostigma.
thanks for the suggestion.