Found this link

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
cactusbutt

Found this link

Post by cactusbutt »

Post by Guest »

very interesting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tillie

Post by tillie »

I want a cactus rainstick... I've been wanting a rainstick for years anyway but made of a cactus? How cool!
templegatejohn

Rainstick

Post by templegatejohn »

Hey Tillie,

I'm only a poor farm boy from the country, but what is a "Rainstick".

John
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hey John
I didnt know what a rainstick was either :?
but I found this link http://www.andeannation.com/stick.html
:wink:

Bob
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

A rainstick is a section of cacti skeleton that is sealed off at both ends. Inside they put beads or some such thing. When you turn it over all the little beads bounce their way down the irregularities of the inside of the stick. This makes a schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... type sound that sounds a bit like rain or clinking crystals.

They sell them all over the place in the southwest. Most particularily at gift shops or visitor's centers.

Although, as Bob's link suggests, they have nothing to do with the Southwest United states, most tourists don't know the difference. Similar to many people's belief that Saguaros grow in deserts of Sahara-like sands with nothing but the occasional tumbleweed passing by. Oh, and coyote's howling in the distance.