Any ID beyond "Cereus"?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Lair3514

Any ID beyond "Cereus"?

Post by Lair3514 »

Pictures hard to get because this cactus established itself within the sheltering branches of a mesquite tree. I've walked by this tree in past without noticing its guest/intruder! I lingered taking pictures and owners came out and offered it's "one of the Cereus." They said it is a fast grower. They estimated it grew this much in five years. They didn't plant it. Said a seed must have been deposited by bird. Currently cactus has single stem. Here's the pictures. Thanks for ID help, if possible.

Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

/Christer
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Looks like your run of the mill Peruvian from here. No?
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Thank you, Christen and GS. I should have known but I continue to be baffled by the range of plants called Cereus peruvianus (your website, Christen, gave hildmannianus and peruvianus as synonyms). Small, medium or large: most of the white-flowered night bloomers in neighborhood seem to be Cereus peruvianus. I appreciate your help.

Edit: Further reading and picture browsing left me with a resolution. Though Echinopsis pachanoi and peruviana (not surprisingly) look similar to Cereus peruvianus and hildmannianus, it is best to accept Cereus peruvianus with a big asterisk.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

No doubt, which is why I deferred to 'Peruvian'. In this instance, common name might be a better choice.