Contest 45: Discussion and Related Photos

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
CoronaCactus

Contest 45: Discussion and Related Photos

Post by CoronaCactus »

Please discuss and post anything related to Contest 45: North American Cacti -Sonoran Desert Species-
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Nice. I will have to look through my pics and see what I gots! :) I can get habitat shots.. although that doesn't mean I will win hahahaha :)
good luck all!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It won't be easy to find the right pic of a plant out of the Sonoran Desert. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
hob

Post by hob »

well that excludes most of us who don't know what species grow there :shock:
can we have one on the cacti of Jujuy county Argentina ? :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

What's the Sonoran :shock: :lol: Yeah, I'll just sit this one out.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think you guys would be surprised at how many plants you have that grow there.

Many Echinocereus species are from there such as E. engelmannii, E. triglochidatus, E. coccineus and more, famous Opuntias such as O. santa-rita, O. engelmannii, O. basilaris, O. macrocentra and so on.

Then you have Stenocereus thurberi, Pachycereus schottii, Pachycereus pringlei, Carnegiea gigantea to name a few big uns.

Lots of Mamms too! M. grahamii, M. tetrancistra, M. heyderi and more.

Tons of Chollas, lots of Ferocactus, Some Peniocereus, Sclerocatus, etc.!

If in doubt, just ask!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote:I think you guys would be surprised at how many plants you have that grow there.
If in doubt, just ask!
a list would be handy, with about 800 plants to care for i can point an ageing finger at a lot and say which continent most are from .............but which desert :shock: :shock: :shock: :?
incurable cactoholic
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

daiv wrote:I think you guys would be surprised at how many plants you have that grow there.
I'm fairly certain the only plant I have that might qualify is a Ferocactus hystrix but its not photo worthy yet.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Slight quibble and certainly not universally agreed on: Echinocereus triglochidiatus is not a Sonoran desert plant, in the strict sense of either the species or the desert. Forms of coccineus, possibly, although they truly occur much higher in latitude or at higher elevations in sky islands.

If one includes much of the Baja California peninsula and the entirety of the Sonoran Desert in Mexico, there are indeed a huge number of species and varieties. Darryl, is everything in Baja except the Vizcaino, the California coastal chaparral and the Cape Region included?

Checking to see whether a plant is Sonoran or not is a quick matter. Find the general location and check out Google Maps. Then look at this generally accepted map of the Sonoran (click twice for large size):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CBsQ9QEwAA

peterb

PS- notice that many other desert and other regions are included in the map. Notice also that this definition of the Sonoran includes the Colorado Desert in southeastern California and extreme southwester AZ, a definition that is controversial.
Zone 9
hob

Post by hob »

peterb wrote:Slight quibble and certainly not universally agreed on: Echinocereus triglochidiatus is not a Sonoran desert plant, in the strict sense of either the species or the desert. Forms of coccineus, possibly, although they truly occur much higher in latitude or at higher elevations in sky islands.

If one includes much of the Baja California peninsula and the entirety of the Sonoran Desert in Mexico, there are indeed a huge number of species and varieties. Darryl, is everything in Baja except the Vizcaino, the California coastal chaparral and the Cape Region included?

peterb

Notice also that this definition of the Sonoran includes the Colorado Desert in southeastern California and extreme southwester AZ, a definition that is controversial.
Peter, you don't sound too sure and you are the local expert :? where does that leave the rest of us :shock: :shock:
peterb wrote:Checking to see whether a plant is Sonoran or not is a quick matter.

i figure i can say about 500 of mine are south American ....the other 300 :dontknow:
incurable cactoholic
hob

Post by hob »

how about this

or this
incurable cactoholic
iann

Post by iann »

Here's a list. I think it is perhaps a bit generous about calling some of them Sonoran Desert cacti, but it might give you some ideas.

How about this as an also-ran?

Or this? Some very choice Mammillarias in that area.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

E. rigidissimus, definitely. And the concept of me being "the local expert" on the Sonoran is hilarious. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Didn't mean to make things difficult. With so many plants that grow there, I figured most of the members would have atleast one Sonoran plant. I do like to offer some educational value to the contests, so this is a chance for you all to learn more about the Sonoran desert and the plants that grow there. I learn from these as well ;)

I didn't realize the inclusion of the Colorado and Arizona deserts within the Sonoran was controversial, so for simplicity of this contest I'll leave them included. And for more simplicity, I'll include all of Baja California. Hope that helps.
peterb

Post by peterb »

haha, c'mon y'all! Three entries??? It's really not that hard to figure out what's Sonoran. If you grow cacti at all, you probably have at least one! Do I have to create 20 accounts and enter over and over again? haha.

peterb
Zone 9