Chamaelobivia Hybrid "Rose Quartz" variation

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Tetrazole

Chamaelobivia Hybrid "Rose Quartz" variation

Post by Tetrazole »

Over the past year and a half, I have picked up five separate Chamaelobivia Hybrid "Rose Quartz" plants. Now that I have had them long enough for them to put on some growth and bloom it has become obvious that these must be being mass produced with seeds rather than solely by offsets. Not only do the plants have quite a range of appearance, but the blooms have significant size, shade and shape variation.

Plant number 5's flowers really look, at least to me, like classic, unhybridized Echinopsis chamaecereus. The plant segments are quite a bit larger though than my specimen of E. chamaecereus - perhaps three times as long.

The plants are labeled 1-5 based on when they were procured.

Nathan

Plant 1

Plant 2

Plant 3

Plant 4

Plant 5

Bloom from Plant 1

Bloom from Plant 2

Bloom from Plant 3

Bloom from Plant 4

Bloom from Plant 5

Unhybridized Echinopsis chamaecereus plant

Unhybridized Echinopsis chamaecereus bloom
Last edited by Tetrazole on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

That's very disappointing. A named hybrid really should only be propagated vegetatively. It makes you wonder what else that we buy isn't what it should be.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I thought, and this might just be because I am a "newbie" that all the named hybrids were in fact taken as either offsets or cuttings so that they have the same characteristics of the parent plants.

But then again, maybe it's cheating people at nurseries that are just trying to make money and don't care what you get.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Mine looks exactly like your number 4. I'm going to go ahead and toss out the 'Rose Quartz' part as clearly that name means little.