off with its head!!!

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
fileeep

off with its head!!!

Post by fileeep »

Same as hippyman, this is going to be my first cutting as well, I would like to lop off this new growth and replant it, it is about 12 weeks old.

So what I have read on here is.....I just cut it off where I want....which is to remove it whole...then put it inside in a cardboard box, in order to keep it away from young hands and animals……then once the roots start to show, plant and water it. Is that about right?

It there anything I should brush on to encourage root growth?

If I have covered everything.....can anyone tell me how long will the roots take to form, and how long could the cutting survive if left alone.

Cheers, fileeep!
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

You've largely got the hang of it there, I think :) I'd add, however:

- Try to make sure you use a sterilised knife (rubbing alcohol, boiling water, whatever) to cut it, to reduce the chance of the cut getting infected.
- My preferred way of doing it is to leave it in a box until the cut callouses over (forms a hard skin) and to then take the cutting out and set it in some soil as if you were planting it. Avoid direct sunlight, but keep it warm. My experience is that this encourages the roots to grow faster, but others may well tell you different.
- If you do it this way, DO NOT WATER IT UNTIL THE ROOTS HAVE GROWN. Apologies for capslocking, but it's an important point - very quick way to induce rot!

As for time limits... Probably a week or two for the callouse, and 2-4 weeks for the roots, though that should considered a very vague estimate - it will vary from cutting to cutting. It'll probably be able to survive months without water though, so don't worry about that! :lol: If it gets a little shrivelled, no matter - it'll puff up again once it gets water.

Good luck! :)
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
Loph

Post by Loph »

that is an insanely sexy plant.

with those plants you dont need to be too worried. if i were in your shoes i would cut it right where it is coming out at the narrow section. let dry for a week or 2 then plant it right in the pot and not water for another few weeks. i dont like laying new growth cuttings of fast growing species on their side for weeks because they tend to bend to the light in that time....
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
fileeep

Post by fileeep »

Neko Bazu wrote:You've largely got the hang of it there, I think :) I'd add, however:

- Try to make sure you use a sterilised knife (rubbing alcohol, boiling water, whatever) to cut it, to reduce the chance of the cut getting infected.
- My preferred way of doing it is to leave it in a box until the cut callouses over (forms a hard skin) and to then take the cutting out and set it in some soil as if you were planting it. Avoid direct sunlight, but keep it warm. My experience is that this encourages the roots to grow faster, but others may well tell you different.
- If you do it this way, DO NOT WATER IT UNTIL THE ROOTS HAVE GROWN. Apologies for capslocking, but it's an important point - very quick way to induce rot!

As for time limits... Probably a week or two for the callouse, and 2-4 weeks for the roots, though that should considered a very vague estimate - it will vary from cutting to cutting. It'll probably be able to survive months without water though, so don't worry about that! :lol: If it gets a little shrivelled, no matter - it'll puff up again once it gets water.

Good luck! :)
Thanks Neko Bazu……good advice, I hadn’t thought about that but will defiantly sterilise the scalpel (knife) with my finest whiskey, :) well....at least give it a good scrub with hot water before use. This plant goes without water for 5 weeks at a time, and then I’m there and I think I over water it for 3 weeks but it doesn’t seem to bother her/him. With this last growth squirt, it is getting too tall, if this sort of thing keeps up I will have to find a new position for it.
Thanks again, I should be cutting it early next month, so I will document what I do, making note of all the vitals.
Cheers, fileeep!
fileeep

Post by fileeep »

Loph wrote:that is an insanely sexy plant.

with those plants you dont need to be too worried. if i were in your shoes i would cut it right where it is coming out at the narrow section. let dry for a week or 2 then plant it right in the pot and not water for another few weeks. i dont like laying new growth cuttings of fast growing species on their side for weeks because they tend to bend to the light in that time....
Hey Loph,
Thanks for the advice, and yes I also think it is a groovy looking plant and it is very fast growing…..I was completely amazed with how fast it did grow, from a little bump to this in 5 weeks.

and the very first picture that I posted is after only 8 weeks...wow....

here is a better picture of the girlsImage
.....do you think the pot is big enough?
Loph

Post by Loph »

Beautiful, i love your deck!

you could up the pot size, but it will likely just make it grow bigger faster. they do -ok- root bound if your trying to keep it small. or you can just keep giving it the cop every time it gets too tall for you. you will have a fence of teh things along tat railing in no time. robbers beware.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.