My collection! Picture heavy. (g)

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
redkiunteh

My collection! Picture heavy. (g)

Post by redkiunteh »

Some current-ish photos of my critters. Mostly they seem to be doing great, though you can see the scars from my earlier mistakes with them. (g) I got them outside much earlier this spring and managed to keep them out most days, and by now most are used to the sun and very happy. I may even have flowers soon!

My Tom Thumb, top, good side, and still-brown side. It seemed to recover over the winter from nearly burning to death last summer, but turned a little brown again when I put him out last month, so he's staying inside for now in a west window. There seems to be new growth, though, so I'm optimistic.

The Mammillaria mystax, aka Grumpy, looking fantastic and about three times the size he was when I got him. (g)

Peanut! With a flower bud, and air-roots. Ha.

The Silver Ball, still stretched and in a too-small pot. He's since been moved to a six-inch pot and is resting out of the sun.

My new Silken Pincushion. Hasn't grown a whole lot since last summer.

Bunny-ear (Angel Wing?) Opuntia and baby. These have both been repotted, parent into a larger pot and baby into a smaller one. That was fun. X.x

Baby Thimbles, growing pups. (g)

Cleisto, dunno the species, but reaching for the sky!

Ladyfinger, with a few new arms.

Saguaro! Yeah, he looks weird, but happily growing. He'll need a new pot eventually, when I can find more of the azalea kind.

My cactus bowl, containing two Mammillaria magnifica, one Irish Redhead, and another young Saguaro.

Flowerbuds on the larger Mammillaria. Muaha!

Golden Barrell, aka The Brat, looking better than in my last post on the Sick Cacti thread. Heh.

Next weekend I'll do some more repotting. The Golden Barrell is going into the smaller of these two azalea pots, the two M. magnifica in the large one. The pots are 10" wide by 7" deep and 12" by 8", respectively. The Redhead will go into the Brat's old pot while the Saguaro is staying put, for now, but with new soil and more room.

And...Dunno what this is. A desert thing from the same guy who gave me the cactus bowl. Ha. (The big green pot behind it contains a thriving tomato plant.)

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

good looking plants, I wouldn't worry too much about that first one, it looks pretty healthy to me!
the peanut looks huge, are you sure it's e. chamaecereus?

you may have helped me in identifying a plant!
Baby Thimbles
I assume it's the same as this one:
do you have a scientific name with that?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
redkiunteh

Post by redkiunteh »

Thanks! I figure if the Tom Thumb survives my ministrations this summer, it can survive anything. Ha.

The Peanut cactus ID is from the label the plant came with, and I'm pretty sure it's correct. The tallness of it is from etiolated growth over the winter, not getting enough light made it stretch. You can tell, by the fuzziness on a few of the shorter arms, where the growth is going on now that it has sunshine. (g)

It looked more like the critter from this page when I got it: http://www.highsierranursery.com/Plant% ... actus'.htm

And the Thimble Cactus ID is also from a label...They were on the floor underneath a row of pots containing dozens of pupping little cacti, and so I rescued them and placed them in the pot of a cactus I was actually buying at the time, probably the Pincushion. (g) Mammillaria gracilis (Or M. vetula, on this site) is the species name. I'm not sure that's what yours are, though, Thimbles are a bit more round and have the wrapping spines. It could be a variant, I guess...here's what the more mature plants should look like:

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?uname2=Chilita%20vetula

Yours do look like Mammillaria, at least, but wow, the variation in that genus has made trying to ID all of mine so much fun. (g)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the saguaro does look weird but they are tough.

Just be careful, they are tough but they can rot easily.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
redkiunteh

Post by redkiunteh »

It must be tough, it's survived my weirdness for almost ten whole years now, and it's the first cactus I ever bought. From a Jewel-Osco. O.o Ha!

Poor thing. Last year Daiv suggested I find it a monocle, top hat and cane, but I haven't found these things in the right size yet. (g)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hahahaha
that would make an interesting picture!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.