Herbicides Safe for Cactus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
skarsh

Herbicides Safe for Cactus?

Post by skarsh »

Are there any herbicides that will kill clover and other weeds, but not harm cactus?
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

If I had to guess. I would say emphatically, NO!!
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

When you say clover, is it possible your are referring to Oxalis?

I think that is something you have to learn to live with. Just when you think you've got it gone, there's another plant.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
legolas29

Post by legolas29 »

I thought I’d pick-up this thread again, since I'm pulling my hair out pulling these weeds all the time.

ImageImage
ImageImage
(click on image for larger pic)

I have been pulling these out by hand, using a small, relatively soft wooden stick to get in between the ribs of the cactus (E. grusonii). Even though I am very careful and very patient, I never get them all and sometimes even unintentionally damage a spine or two.

The only other way I can think of is to dig up my cactus, separate out all the weed roots and replant. I would hate to have to do this to my plant; it's doing so well.

Do you guys have a better way?

legolas29
hablu

Post by hablu »

That's the way: dig it up and remove the weed. But than again there are some seeds left. What would be the effect of a little roundup put on with a tiny brush only on the Oxalis? A disaster? or will it work? Harry
iann

Post by iann »

You can paint the weeds but don't get any on the cactus!
PinkNailPolish

Post by PinkNailPolish »

I get those. I just pick them and feed them to my tortoise. :)
Jackie
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Yup, must be a common and widespread weed. I 've got one growing amidst one of my chollas. I pull out what I can without becoming a self sacrifice and hope the winter will kill the weed off.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

All correct advice. I have found that: 1) unpotting the plant and removing the weed roots is the easiest and quickest way. Or: 2) I also agree that you could paint the weed with a paintbrush (actually just a drop on it) and kill it without damage to the cactus. I opt for plan #1..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep that's Oxalis alright! I've just learned to live with it. If I can pull them with my fingers, I do. Sometimes I get out the needle nosed pliers. Trouble is the roots are so prolific on them that they threaten to pull out the cactus too when I get a good grip on them. Once they go to seed, it's all over. You would have to work really really hard to get rid of it all.

On the other hand, I wonder if it isn't helpful to have some growing with the cactus to suck up any extra moisture in the soil.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

That little Oxalis can be a booger of a plant to eradicate, it has a tap root, and it has explosive seed capsules that are very effective in redistributing seed. I'm not sure how effective roundup is on this little plant, I guess it does the trick.
For getting weeds out from between/around cacti, some-one once mentioned the brilliant idea of getting a pair of those plier-like instruments with the longish shaft for removing fishhooks. At least it'd be healthier for the fingers, and maybe even better that a stick!

CP.
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Yes! Finally an topic i know a bit about! weed removal hey? You can paint a bit of roundup onto the oxalis and it will die, and the cactus will be fine. To prevent more seeds germinating in the pot, see if you can buy a pre-emergent herbicide like Talstar which prevent seeds from germinating. The plant that is already growing in the pot wont be affected in the slightest (but i wouldnt recommend spilling any of it directly onto the cactus). Talstar is like small grains which smell like mothballs, not a liqud herbicide, and it works great
Weird - a Euphorbia is not a cactus, yet a Pereskia is.