My Mammillaria Hahniana is Flowering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Jakk

My Mammillaria Hahniana is Flowering

Post by Jakk »

Hi Folks

I have a small Mammillaria Hahniana which is living on a south facing window in the UK.

I was looking at my cactus plants today and noticed what looks like a flower on the Mammillaria Hahniana (see photo).

I was under the impression they don't flower until spring time.

I was watering frequently until around 3 weeks ago when I stopped watering as we are entering the dormant season. I am planning on giving them no water until the spring. I am a bit worried though as
they have shrunk loads already

My question is why has this plant chucked out a flower at this time of the year?

Many Thanks Jakk

iann

Post by iann »

Mammillaria hahniana is a "winter flowerer". In the UK there is not sufficient light and heat, plus people don't water their plants, so buds are delayed and usually don't flower until spring. I have a mature plant which usually manages to open a few flowers at about this time before going dormant. With a little help it will certainly put on a good display in late autumn or winter.

However :) Your "flower" is a fruit!
--ian
Jakk

Post by Jakk »

Thanks for the reply Iann

I didn't realise it was fruit, is that normal for this time of the year. Will I be able to get some seeds out of it?

Was I right in stopping watering 3 weeks ago, I am now wondering if I stopped too early and should give them one last watering before they go dormant.

Thanks

Jakk
iann

Post by iann »

The fruit will probably have seeds in it. I don't know if they will be viable without a pollinator but its fairly easy to check ;) It doesn't look ripe yet. I'd let it sit until it starts to dry up and then sow the seeds at the end of winter.

I stopped watering my cacti some time ago but they are in an unheated greenhouse. Small plants with more heat will probably need some water at some point over winter. All my more tender species which come inside will get a splash of water at some time before spring, but don't go mad. Do let them shrink as long as you can bear it, its normal, natural and good for the plant.
--ian
Jakk

Post by Jakk »

Thanks for all the advise Iann, you have put my mind at rest about them shrinking.

I will leave them be for now, as they are inside my house I will maybe give them a watering in a few weeks time and another some time in the new year and that will be it until the spring.

Just a couple question if you don't mind, all my plants are on a south facing windowsill, will they be ok to leave there during the winter or should I move them away from the window?, I am worried that they will suffer on the window sill, especially if we get a proper winter like last year

I have the following species and I was just wondering if they all should be treated the same way through out the dormant period. I.e very little water

Mammillaria hahniana

Mammillaria pettersonii

Pilosocerues pachyclaudus

Espostoa (Vatricania) guentheri

Many Thanks Jakk
Jakk

Post by Jakk »

Thanks for all the advise Iann, you have put my mind at rest about them shrinking.

I will leave them be for now, as they are inside my house I will maybe give them a watering in a few weeks time and another some time in the new year and that will be it until the spring.

Just a couple question if you don't mind, all my plants are on a south facing windowsill, will they be ok to leave there during the winter or should I move them away from the window?, I am worried that they will suffer on the window sill, especially if we get a proper winter like last year

I have the following species and I was just wondering if they all should be treated the same way through out the dormant period. I.e very little water

Mammillaria hahniana

Mammillaria pettersonii

Pilosocerues pachyclaudus

Espostoa (Vatricania) guentheri

Many Thanks Jakk
iann

Post by iann »

I don't think you'll have any problems inside a window unless you live in a shed with big gaps round the glass. Maybe the Pilosocereus is really tender? Anyone? The others are totally safe until you get ice on the window and then some more. Not every cactus is the same but the ones you list are happy to be dry for four months.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think Pilosocereus will be fine in those conditions too. They're not overly sensative to cold.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Jakk

Post by Jakk »

Thanks for all the advise guys, I am now ready for the winter period and a little less worried I am gonna kill them all.

Many Thanks Jakk
iann

Post by iann »

This is a bud, as of today.

I haven't watered this for at least a month and won't water it until April or May. It is a fairly large pot and so it can take a few weeks to completely dry out at this time of year but I'm sure its pretty dry now. The main flush of flowers will come in about May.
--ian
Jakk

Post by Jakk »

Wow Iann that Mammillaria hahniana looks beautiful when its in full flower like the one in your bottom photo.

I hope mine flowers in the spring, I was given it as a present in June this year and it had 1 little flower on it then.

I have been following all the advise on how to care for her so fingers crossed

Jakk