History of cacti science?

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
hoven5th

History of cacti science?

Post by hoven5th »

Does anyone kow of a "history of cacti research" monograph, meaning a scholarly history of cacti science? Something similar in style to to Horace Judson's The Eight Day of Creation about Watson and Crick.
Beginner
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I've actually been looking over the cactus book lists on several sites lately as I'm planning to expand the books I have. At the top of my list is the new Gymnocalycium book. But I figured as long as I'm going to pay shipping, I'll see what else is out there.

I don't recall seeing any that fit what you describe. I think to get that, you might have to get back issues of some of the journals out there. I know they offer the CSSA journals on DVD now, which I think is the way to go. But not sure of some of the others like Kaktusy and Hasseltonia. :dontknow:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Loph

Post by Loph »

i would buy cd's with complete journals pubs, in an instant!

but i think if you want history, your going to need to narrow it down to genera, not family. some genera have so much written about them, it would likely take a 1000 page just for the single genera (thinking opuntia and lophophora as good examples)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
peterb

Post by peterb »

On a regional level, Del Weniger's original publication of the hardbound _Cacti of Texas_ (not the 1981 paperback field guide) has a ton of history in it. It can be expensive and hard to find though.

peterb
Zone 9