My Apartment Setup

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
hoven5th

My Apartment Setup

Post by hoven5th »

Well, I live in an apartment with my wife, kid, and (unfortunately)two cats, and so there's not much room for seed cultivation. BUT, I convinced my wife to let me take over a shelf in the closet, and so I'm trying in nonetheless. I'm trying to grow Astrophylum asterias, Lophophora diffusa, Mammillaria capensis, and Trichocerus pachanoi.Image
Beginner
iann

Post by iann »

I think its the best way to start cactus seed. What sort of temperatures do you get in there?
--ian
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Honestly, I'm not nure. I need to get a thermometer. We keep the house temp in the low 70s and I assume its a bit warmer under the lights. I try to make the house warmer but the wife fights to turn the AC up. She says she's more important than the plants! :lol: I'm still trying to decide if I agree!
Beginner
TimN

Post by TimN »

Any wife that lets you take over ANY closet real estate for cacti has got to have something going for her! Sounds like a keeper to me...

As long as you don't have an AC vent in your closet, the light should keep things warmer in there if you keep the door closed most of the time.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

TimN wrote:Any wife that lets you take over ANY closet real estate for cacti has got to have something going for her! Sounds like a keeper to me...
That's what I was going to say.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I just built new cabines/shelves in my walk in closet a few months ago, I knew there was something I forgot to include. :P :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thats pretty cool, maybe your wife will let you have some table space somewhere and you can use a small aquarium/tank that you can set up as a seed germ/grow chamber. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

*Barracuda_47* wrote:Thats pretty cool, maybe your wife will let you have some table space somewhere and you can use a small aquarium/tank that you can set up as a seed germ/grow chamber. :D
Yea, I've thought about getting a propagator (it might actually fit in the closet). This is my first attempt at seeds and so we'll see how it turns out. It's been cool here (and only going to get colder) and so I'll likely end up getting a heat mat.
Beginner