Astrophytum Caput-Medusae - anyone tried it?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
cooky173

Astrophytum Caput-Medusae - anyone tried it?

Post by cooky173 »

I'm interested in getting some of these, and since the seeds I've come across are about $5 each, I don't want to throw money away on this.

Has anyone done this from the seed before? Are they like other Astro's to grow, or should things be done a bit differently? I'm also inexperienced at grafting, so how do you find them on their own roots?

Thanks
iann

Post by iann »

Lots of people have grown them from seed. They aren't terribly difficult but then all Astrophytum seedlings have a slight reputation for touchiness. Of course with a small number of seeds you always take the chance that you get a poor batch or don't quite get things right first time and end up with nothing.
--ian
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

I might give them shot then,

Thanks Ian
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

iann wrote:Lots of people have grown them from seed. They aren't terribly difficult but then all Astrophytum seedlings have a slight reputation for touchiness. Of course with a small number of seeds you always take the chance that you get a poor batch or don't quite get things right first time and end up with nothing.
Ain't it the truth; but to those who are unexperienced with seedlings that tend to be a bit touchy (astros, lophs, etc.) it can be a bit of a hassle. If you are skilled at grafting get them to about a month old then do a seedling graft and degraft them after you get the desired size.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Take a look at the third one in this post:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13604
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

I'll have pics like that soon I hope.