New article - need pics...

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

New article - need pics...

Post by daiv »

Hi all. We had yet another new member find out about the glued-on flowers the hard way:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13483

Since this is such a frequent occurence and often hard for people to believe, I think it would be good to add an article about this with sample pictures.

I have never taken pictures of these, however, and was hoping that some of you would be able to help on that. If anyone has pictures of these, please let me know. A variety of images will be helpful, I think. I'd also like to have a picture of the plants like this on the shelf at the store. I don't know if anyone here has been brave enough to take pics in the store like that. I might have to cruise some around here and see if I can find any like that.

I'd also like to include some of the googly eyed, mustache cacti.

Thanks in advance!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Re: New article - need pics...

Post by Saguaro123 »

daiv wrote: I'd also like to include some of the googly eyed, mustache cacti.
Thanks in advance!
I would like to contribute to that, but I have to wait till Halloween. :(
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I just looked through my pics, but didn't see any.

I suppose I could go and buy a new cactus with a glued on flower to take pics of the removal and aftermath.

Now that's a good reason to go buy cacti. 8)

Somebody on here is bound to have pics of it, or the damage it caused.
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

We could just go to Home Depot/ Lowe's / Wal Mart and take some pics.
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

I've seen these flowers recently that were attached with a needle, which is even worse. It was inserted through the flower and then stuck into the cactus.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I don't have a picture of a cactus with glued on flower, I DO have a picture showing the damage it causes.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

I will go out and see if i have any that have damage to them from the glued on flowers i know last yr i did pic up a few that had such flowers on them, and it was a pain in the arse to get um off without doing somekind of damage. Dont those idiots realize it could damage the cacti. :evil: The hard part was getting as much glue of the spines as possible without pulling the spines out or cutting the spines, some get glue right down the the skin of the plant. :(
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks guys. Like me, those are the last things you want pictures of, right? :lol:

If you have any that you think would be useful to show those new to cacti, post them up here. When I get a good cross section, I'll put it all together. Then we can reference it whenever someone comes along with that situation. I think it will help ease the disappointment for a lot of folks when they realize just how common this practice is.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Shoot, earlier this year I saw a Chamaelobivia that had like 5 glued on flowers on multiple stems, the kicker was that it had a real flower open too :lol:
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

Andy_CT wrote:Shoot, earlier this year I saw a Chamaelobivia that had like 5 glued on flowers on multiple stems, the kicker was that it had a real flower open too :lol:
I saw a flower in full bloom at Home Depot's and I actually thought it was glued on. They hurt the cacti and confuse people too. :roll:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Andy_CT wrote:Shoot, earlier this year I saw a Chamaelobivia that had like 5 glued on flowers on multiple stems, the kicker was that it had a real flower open too :lol:
Ahh, that would have been a good one illustrating how much BETTER the real flowers are!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well Buck has kindly offered up his pic from this post:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1192

That's a really good example of this craziness. Now just need a few of the removal/aftermath and it will be enough to start with.

I'm going to have to be on the lookout for these too and remember to take pictures of them!
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

daiv wrote:Well Buck has kindly offered up his pic from this post:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1192

That's a really good example of this craziness. Now just need a few of the removal/aftermath and it will be enough to start with.

I'm going to have to be on the lookout for these too and remember to take pictures of them!
Wow, that is a cool picture, too bad you cannot bring plants to the U.S. internationally.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

well I have found an old picture of a mammilaria I used to have with straw flowers and some real ones, at that time I didn't know the red ones were straw, I later found out that they were stuck with wire into the plant, so not glued. it died quite shortly after removal.

here are the pictures I mentioned showing removal damage:

feel free to use any picture you like
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

What kind of glue do they use? Maybe we could figure out how to remove it without damaging the plant.

If it's the glue from a hot glue gun, sitting the plant in the sun for a while should be enough to soften the glue.

Has anybody tried wetting the glue? Often when they glue plants into those dish gardens they use water-soluble glue. Since it's so handy, they might also use it for the fake flowers.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com