seed cleaning

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Bill in SC

seed cleaning

Post by Bill in SC »

Many of my Echinopsis pods are being harvested now. What is the best and most efficient method to removed the seeds from the gooey mass they are encassed in? Last time I did it, I remember it being very time consuming, and I was lookin' for better ideas.

Bill in SC
Keepin' the blues alive!
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Hi Bill

I don't know if this is the best way, but I soak the gooey ball in a bowl of water for a day or so until the goo disolves and then pour everything through a piece of cloth.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Dont know what you have been doing or if this is the most efficiant way of doing it, but I have been squishing the seed filled pulp into a stack of 2 or 3 paper towels with a finger.
Then gently scrape the seeds off the paper towels with a plastic scraper, most of the pulp will be trapped in the paper, then rinse them in a large cup of water. Next pour out almost all the water, leaving a small amount of water and the seeds. Then pour the water and seeds onto another stack of paper towels to dry. Whatever pulp is left over will be absorbed by the towel and when dry will stick to it.
Works for me. :)
Last edited by Tony on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

That's kinda what I did last time, but rather than soaking it for a day, I just rinsed and rinsed through a coffee filter. Your idea of letting it dissolve seems much simpler. One question though. letting the seeds soak a day or two, wouldn't that make the seeds swell and proned to germinate right then? I want to sow them this fall, and keep them under lights this winter.

Bill in SC
Keepin' the blues alive!
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

For larger gooey Tricho fruits I have left them soak in water for at least three days without any sprouting, although this may not be good for some genera(Hylocereus?). I find that if the goo starts to break down and kind of ferment, that it will just turn to chaff when dried on papertowels and can be carefully blown off the seeds when everything is crunched up and removed from the towel.
Chris
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

What, nobody uses a blender :o

For seperating the gooey stuff on opuntia seeds I put them in a blender with water then hit the button a couple times to mix things up. All the viable seed settle to the bottom and all the junk floats to the top. :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

I do it all by hand. :)
Loph

Post by Loph »

i use those screen sifter/mesh things for cooking. mush the seed up a lot and the pulp once small goes through the holes and the seeds dont. once i get rid of the bulk i chuck em all in water and collect the seeds at the bottom like above :)
I have left them soak in water for at least three days without any sprouting, although this may not be good for some genera(Hylocereus?).
correct. i had a plate of hylo seeds just drying under light, and half germinated :oops: i personally dont like the idea of soaking for that reason. but sure many species can handle it.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.