More South Americans

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
peterb

More South Americans

Post by peterb »

I hardly grow any SA cacti, just out of a need to set some sort of limit on what I do grow. But two of the ones I keep around are among my favorites. Here's the local version of the plant Ian recently posted, Maihuenia peopiggii (about 7 years old from seed). When (age, time of year) do these flower?:

And a fascinating little plant, Austrocactus patagonicus (not sure I know the differences between dusenii and patagonicus, but this was patagonicus seed from Alplains, I think...foggy memory):

Anyone know how to get Austrocactus to flower? The flowers are very beautiful indeed. This one seems like it should be old enough. I think some of its siblings at Santa Fe Greenhouses started flowering last year.

Thanks,

peterb
Zone 9
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Nice plants Peter. 8) I'm not sure when they flower but they do look great. 8)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome plants, Peter!
Hopefully the Austrocactus blooms soon for you. Will be a nice one!
iann

Post by iann »

Maihuenia flowers in late spring, which might mean early spring for you. Yellow Opuntia type flowers. Maybe you should try keeping it under snow for the winter and see if it flowers after the spring melt :lol: Mine has never flowered.

Your plant more closes matches the description for A. bertinii (=A. dusenii). Possibly the names in this genus need more study. I don't know how you would get one of these to flower, but bear in mind they come from a latitude that would put them near the Canadian border in the northern hemisphere, and at altitude near the tree line.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter, I know Sulleyman has these and I think he has had flowers, but not 100%. You might send him a PM.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti