Short stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Isometric

Short stock

Post by Isometric »

Let me first say that I've never tried to graft. But I am well aware of the reasons for grafting such as faster propagation and allowing cultivation of mutants with no chlorophyll.

I don't collect cactus for sale, well that is not the intention at the moment anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that a grafted cactus looks rather ugly not to mention unnatural.

I thought about cutting the stock of a grafted plant. The cut will be made just underneath the scion, making the stock so short it is effectively invisible when normally planted. (I've read about this in another thread but can't remember which.)

It is essentially changing the roots of the scion with the roots of the stock.

I want to know whether this is a good idea. What is the growth like when compared to those on their original roots?

What are some problems you've encountered?

Any thoughts on hypocotyl grafting?
Paralysis by analysis...sigh
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- As long as there's just enough stock to have enough strength to put down roots and keep pumping water and nutrients to the scion, short stocks are a great way to make a grafted plant look more natural. I've never done any seedling grafting or hypocotyl grafting, but someone else here should know.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I agree with Peter. Or if the stock isn't all that long to start with you can bury it in top-dressing as an option.

And this might be obvious, but if the scion is a mutant and has no clorophyll, then you will always have to have enough green stock showing to produce food for the plant. So you can't hide the stock on those plants.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Loph

Post by Loph »

like they said, it works great. only concern is matching species...specifically pereskiopsis. peresk like it wet, and some species will rot when in contact with the constantly wet substrate..be careful with them. a rock top dressing can help, but i found it not worth the risk with pereskiopsis grafts. others like hylo, myrtle, trichs etc all do well like this :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

I've grafted a lot of seedlings to Selenicereus with good success. When I started to graft, I used to cut the stocks very high, thinking of a better growth, but as I realized, I've got quite the same grow speed on lower stocks, with the advantage as they hold the scion more firmly.
Also the chlorophyl-less types are growing well on lower stocks, such as 2-3 cm high.

Regards
Alex
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow Alex, I didn't know you were growing all those colorful mutants!
Silenus

Post by Silenus »

I feel like I'm looking at walmart graft sections, but you have a better selection with those grafts. :happy9:
Loph

Post by Loph »

look great man. i think daivs comment about lacking chlorophyll was burying the stocks so NO stock shows. thats what i was mentioning as well. not short stocks, buried stocks so it looks like a own root plant in a pot :)

nice looking plants :)
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Thanks...
Well, a buried stock is something difficult. I've tried to cut higher graftings, leaving a 1 or 2 cm piece of the Seleni stock and many times they rot. Only some buried Echinopsis stocks are still doing well. They might be a bit harder.

@daiv
These grafted mutants are mostly for sale purpuses. I personally like more the natural forms.

Regards
Alex
Isometric

Post by Isometric »

What is the minimal amount of stock required (and may be different for each species) so that when cut the new roots that form are roots of the stock and not of the scion?

Or, instead of degrafting one would leave just a small bit of stock underneath so that stock roots would form.

This way there is little chance that what little amount of stock being buried will rot. Will this work?

I saw a beautiful purple body grafted Uebelmannia pectinifera, a plant that is very difficult to grow on its own roots (so I've read). Will I be able to do the above and grow it successfully?
Paralysis by analysis...sigh
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

This may vary, depending on which stock you're using. With Selenicereus, the size should be about 2 cm, Echinopsis maybe shorter. Last month I degrafted a big Mammillaria, grafted to C. stenogonus and left 3 cm of the stock. The scion is so big, that it covers the whole stock. You can fill the space around the stock with not too small stones, so that air can easily reach the stock. I have not yet degrafted Uebelmannias, but I'll give a try next summer. They are for now all grafted to Selenicereus, Opuntia and Echinopsis.
Degrafted Melocactua azureus with a 2 cm Seleni stock

Regards
Alex
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Arzberger wrote: Degrafted Melocactua azureus with a 2 cm Seleni stock
With 2cm of stock left, wouldn't this still be a graft, even if it is a short one?
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

You're right Daiv, but slowly the Melos are getting own roots, beside the piece of stock, and then it is really a not-grafted Melo. In the meantime, it looks like a "normal cactus", but it isn't.
I have some Discocacti which are growing this way. When I repot them, I'll take pictures for better explanation.

Regards
Alex
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Interesting... So they get their own roots, but it is a gradual thing.
Loph

Post by Loph »

Here is a lophophora fricii done like that. about 2" of hylocereus under it.