soil mix for newbie

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jacob1986

soil mix for newbie

Post by jacob1986 »

Hey there,

I've been reading about cacti soil mix and how I shouldn't use just the store bought cacti mix ie. Schultz. I understand the soil needs to have proper draining. Being from Toronto, Canada my choices are limited.

I have 2 ideas - 50/50 schultz cacti and aqua plant mix
- 50/50 schultz cacti and aquarium gravel

I'll take a look around what I can find... Let me know what you think.

Jacob
iann

Post by iann »

Is the aqua plant mix little clay granules that are somewhat absorbent? I like those.
--ian
jacob1986

Post by jacob1986 »

yes its granules, I have been reading on here that people have been using it. :)
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Do you have access to perlite where you are? Some dont like it cause it floats in the soil, but when thats all you can find like me, it works well.
jacob1986

Post by jacob1986 »

ok i just came back from my local Home Depot, not much in terms of cacti stuff. I did find a mix that would probably please my cactus. It even says to add gravel to the mix.. at bottom of pot though.

It's made in Canada and its not Schultz, I forget the brand name :( It's a blend of peat moss, humus, compost, perlite, and sand...

I'm thinking about getting that and some gravel...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This will be OK, but I'd go with at least 60% APS or even 75% with only 25% of this "cactus" mix. That should work fine for most common species.

There is lots of discussion on the subject here if you really want to get into it. If you decide you want to get into growing Ariocarpus, then you'll probably want to get more specific with the mix.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

jacob1986 wrote: I'm thinking about getting that and some gravel...
The other common one is Scotts
iann

Post by iann »

Don't bother with gravel in the bottom of the pot. Gravel goes on the top :lol: :lol:
--ian
jacob1986

Post by jacob1986 »

hmmm,

I guess my shopping list is gravel, cactus mix, and some APS (all purpose soil?)
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

jacob1986 wrote:hmmm,

I guess my shopping list is gravel, cactus mix, and some APS (all purpose soil?)
APS= Aquatic Plant Soil sold by Schultz. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes and sometimes Walmart.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sorry on the abbreviation, I see you know it as "aqua plant mix". But as you described it -fired clay - that's the stuff.
cruaux

Post by cruaux »

Andy_CT wrote: APS= Aquatic Plant Soil sold by Schultz. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes and sometimes Walmart.
Not around here you can't :evil:

I picked up some oil absorbent from Autozone the other day that looks pretty useful. Baked clay granules just a little bit finer than the Aquatic plant soils. We have not had aquatic plant soil in HD for as long as our HD store has been open (2 yrs). I keep on looking :duckie:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The oil absorbant is pretty much the same thing and will produce the same results.
jacob1986

Post by jacob1986 »

I checked Lowes and HD and they didn't have any aquatic plant mix... I did buy some cacti mix... Also in terms gravel I found some here by Lake Ontario. It's composed of small/very small rocks.. I'm thinking about just using that.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Heres another potential option if you can find it.
Its alot cheaper then the schultz aquatic soils but looks and works the same.
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... +Absorbent
Its diatomaceous earth granuals, I have been using it for about a year now, along with regular supersoil (brown bag) and pumice. It works and is cheap.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony