big drink of water vs. misting

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Rÿcher

big drink of water vs. misting

Post by Rÿcher »

I've been giving my babies a good misting every morning but this morning I gave them a big drink of water thinking they haven't had anything to drink on about three weeks. Is that okay or should I have waited?

Anyone offer any watering suggestions for a mixed Burpee bag?
Some truths in sci fi:

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Tony

Post by Tony »

Are they covered? I havent watered my covered seedlings in 3 months. uncovered plants get misted everyday or two.
Probably ferocactus and big columners? I think they should be ok to water normaly as opposed to misting as long as they arent swimming.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Rÿcher

Post by Rÿcher »

covered? No, not anymore. They were when I planted the seeds but when they sprouted, I took the plastic off.

and I don't even know what species the cacti are in the little garden I started.
Some truths in sci fi:

Han shot first
HAL dosed Bowman
CoffeeAddict

Post by CoffeeAddict »

What do you guys mean misting? You guys never told me to mist my plants in between waterings. Is this accurate? AM I supposed to be misting them every other day now?
Joe

Zone 5a/5b
Loph

Post by Loph »

they are talking about seedlings :) dont go repotting into orchid hangers just yet :D
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
iann

Post by iann »

Everyone talks about misting, it is the mantra for (most) mesembs. I don't "mist" anything. I spray to the point that quite a bit of water runs off the plant, or I splash some water onto the plants or the soil using my preferred carbonated beverage container :)

I believe that the experts mean the same thing when they talk about misting, and not just a mist which would dampen the plants but not to the point of runoff.

This is different from traditional watering for adult cacti which would be to pour the water on until it starts to run out the bottom. Cactus seedlings and many mesembs prefer to be constantly slightly moist, not drowned and then left dry for weeks. This can be achieved in a number of ways, one of them is by "misting" regularly. I use what is probably a more free-draining soil than most people use for seed raising, but I keep the pots covered with plastic for as long as possible and I water them frequently when they come into the open.
--ian
Chichipe

Post by Chichipe »

I have an existential doubt: the seedling concept can extends at what age?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thats an interesting rosette on that soda bottle iann, never seen one like that. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Rÿcher

Post by Rÿcher »

a full-on deluge of water will dislodge my seedlings (sprouts). I use a spray bottle to must the sand, soil and sprouts every morning to simulate the morning dew.
Some truths in sci fi:

Han shot first
HAL dosed Bowman
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Moved this to the seedling thread to avoid confusion.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mendel

Post by mendel »

I bottom water my seedlings once they come out of the bags. I judge when to water by the weight of the pot. Only time I mist is when I settle the seeds into the pot, so they make good soil contact.
Southeast Colorado, zone 6b