Opuntia à la carte…

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Samsung Juke

http://www.verizonwireless.com:80/b2c/s ... oneId=3302

It does take pretty good pictures. I bought it 'cuz it was little, I carry it in my pocket, and it has a mp3 player, so no need for a ipod. It's just a little bit bigger than a lighter.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Moonbeam wrote: I didn't look at the ingredients... :oops: I got too many odd stares when I took a picture of it with my phone, so I hurried off.
That is hilarious!!! :laughing9:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
swords

Post by swords »

I just made some beef and cactus burritos for work this weekend, came out pretty good, I guess! :D

I've never eaten a cactus before so I guess it's done right. I sauteed the chopped cactus pads with onions, garlic, herbs, olives then browned a couple lbs of meat then added my sauce (a pint of pace picante!) and let simmer for a while. Spooned into tortillas with cheese and baked for while. yummy!

Some swords cullinary experiment shots:

scraping off the glochids and removing edges

I learned to leave the skins on! I tried fully skinning a pad and dicing it. There was so much slime and ooze I was afraid the knife would slip so I put it into the food chopper and it turned into a puddle of green ooze that I could stretch out like the wacky slime they sell for kids! lol! Leave the skins on - just scrape off the spines, wash and dice

Just before adding the sauce. The light green bits are cactus, you can't see much but there's actually a 1/2 lb diced up in there.

Raw the sliced cactus like the vendor is selling tastes like a cross between a cucumber and a green pepper but there's no acid like a pepper or cuke. Both of which give me heartburn even though I like them. The after taste of Optunia is very sweet but I don't think it'll replace Bryer's Oreo ice cream for me. lol!

I'd definitely use them again. Sauteed in strips and made into fajitas would probably be really good too!

Check your produce section by the fresh mushrooms, yucca & taro roots and foreign fruits to see if they have the pads. They had 2 ft long aloe leaves too but I dunno what they do with those?

My guess would be the main difference would be that the stuff in the jar would be very salty ("pickled") compared to fresh. It could be pickled in spices too and alter the flavor. My old man loves pickled stuff (okra, asparagus, pigs feet, eggs, fish... bleh! :( He isn't supposed to eat it cos of his heart - he was able to give up cigs after 50 years but not the salt! lol!
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Moonbeam wrote:
Saguaro123 wrote:But what are the ingredients? Are they preserved in some juice inside the jar?

Thanks Daiv and Moonbeam. I'll look for it once I make another trip to the grocery store. :)
I didn't look at the ingredients... :oops: I got too many odd stares when I took a picture of it with my phone, so I hurried off.
OK, I was at the store today and they sell the one Moonbeam posted. Ingredients were Cactus, cilantro, serrano peppers, iodized salt, vinegar and water.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Cool...thanks Bill!
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Saguaro123 wrote:What grocery store is that? Perhaps, they might have it here?
Krogers is Ralphs in the Bay Area.

A quick blanching will remove most of the sliminess. I think that they are harvested for food before the spines mature, easily removed/or eaten.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Just caught this one. Looks yummy!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti