Should I amputate?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
legolas29

Should I amputate?

Post by legolas29 »

Hello friends!

I have this columnar (any id help also appreciated) in a raised bed that has a new arm branching out that is in contact with and obstructed by an another, older arm.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

The first option that comes to mind to correct the obstruction is to amputate the new arm and re-plant the cutting. My worry here is what about the open wound left behind on the parent plant? Also, when would be the best time to do so? It won’t get cold for us until December. The cutting would be about 4” in length. I tried doing this once before with an arm that sprouted from this plant that faced the wall. That cutting was barely 1” and didn’t survive.

The second option is to cut off the older arm and end-up with an even bigger, second plant, leaving the new arm to grow in the direction it is trying to. Here the scar would be closer to the tougher base and I expect that the cutting would have a greater survival percentage. Not sure I’d like to do that, but am thinking about it…

The third option that comes to mind would be to somehow train the arm to grow off to the side to avoid contact with the larger arm. I am thinking maybe wrapping some twine around the arm to try to gently pull it to the side. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your help.

legolas29
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Option 3 :D

Looks like a Pilosocereus sp.