~A glimpse into my cacti world~

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
DesertSun

Re: ~A glimpse into my cacti world~

Post by DesertSun »

Hello everybody! So, what's new? I had some more cacti in bloom these days. We also had two days of stormy weather and I had to try and protect the exposed cacti, which I did, so no losses from the winds and heavy rains. My astrophytum senilis flowered and what a beauty it proved to be! My gymnocalycium cacti are so dependable, giving me blooms all the season! Some more additions to the collection but I think that for now it's coming to a halt for the season. A mamm was lost, its vascular center got orangish when I cut it to see if there was a piece of it that could be saved, it couldn't unfortunately. This one was a plant with stunned growth, it didn't flower this season, so I got it out of the pot to check the roots and saw that the bottom was soft, even though she had not been overwatered and the soil mix was the same as with all the other cacti. Now I cannot think but wonder if the top soil that was limestone had something to do with it as Elie had warned me about it.
Anyway, here are some images to show you how all is coming in the collection.
Attachments
Astrophytum senilis in bud
Astrophytum senilis in bud
DSCN7277.jpg (123.06 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
And in bloom!
And in bloom!
DSCN7296.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
Gymnocalycium multi flowering
Gymnocalycium multi flowering
DSCN7279.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
Parodia with bud
Parodia with bud
DSCN7278.jpg (129.51 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
DSCN7270.jpg
DSCN7270.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
DSCN7271.jpg
DSCN7271.jpg (123.25 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
More buds forming
More buds forming
DSCN7269 (2).jpg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
DSCN7284.jpg
DSCN7284.jpg (91.54 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
Parodia in bloom
Parodia in bloom
DSCN7205.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
Not a cactus or succ, but a peperomia caperata Rosso
Not a cactus or succ, but a peperomia caperata Rosso
DSCN7228.jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello marina. Beautiful photos as always
I only warned about limestone top dressing because it will leach alkalinity into the soil which some cacti resent. Mammillarias are fine with limestone.
Rot is sometimes inexplicable even if you are meticulous. It could be single damaged root from an insect or minor damage that rotted and caused a snowball effect.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hi Elie! Yes, I think that it was a matter of time, since it obviously wasn't growing at all and it was supposed to, perhaps if I checked it earlier I could have got it sooner. This one wasn't a rapid rot, like the Frailea, I will show what I mean in the section of the Pests and diseases, it was not soft and mushy, rather rubbery and orangish in color in the inside. Perhaps some fungus? Anyway, you are right, I am not taking it to heart, since I understand that there is always the possibility of what you so well described!
Chinese proverb
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Hello DesertSun! I've been too busy too long and I've been missing too much here!
At first I want to say you have gorgeous collection! I don't even know where to begin. I noticed you have many species from my "must find, must get, buy at all costs"- list. For excample that Tephrocactus papyracanthus and that "thootpick cactus". And many others. Which makes me jealous but at the same time excited.
The way you take the pictures looks so professional to me. The plants look like they are just there, they look so real and alive. If I could only touch the spines through the screen... :D Keep posting!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Pompom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:00 pm Hello DesertSun! I've been too busy too long and I've been missing too much here!
At first I want to say you have gorgeous collection! I don't even know where to begin. I noticed you have many species from my "must find, must get, buy at all costs"- list. For excample that Tephrocactus papyracanthus and that "thootpick cactus". And many others. Which makes me jealous but at the same time excited.
The way you take the pictures looks so professional to me. The plants look like they are just there, they look so real and alive. If I could only touch the spines through the screen... :D Keep posting!
Wow, thank you so much for the lovely comment Pompom! It made me smile! So glad you like my cacti, I get so much out of caring for them and seeing them flourish under my care, as all collectors feel I'm sure! Thank you for the feedback, it's nice to see you back!

So, hello everybody, how have you been doing? My cacti are doing alright, the flowering season is almost over for me now, there are only some gymnocalyciums that have buds and I am waiting for them to bloom. All the others have closed their flowering season, and I must admit I am happy for all the blooms this spring and summer! Still struggling with the mealybugs, but not in a serious level, I have made it my mission to treat every sign of pest that I see each day, so nothing gets out of control, and I hope it stays this way! They are such a nuisance!
This has been a wet and rainy summer for us up to now, lots of rainy and windy days but I have managed to keep everything under control by protecting the cacti and succulents, moving, replacing, adjusting, etc. I hope to be able to put up some tents in the autumn, so they can have more protection in the future.
Attachments
Ferocactus, probably stainesii, but waiting as it is still young to verify
Ferocactus, probably stainesii, but waiting as it is still young to verify
DSCN7553.jpg (126.46 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Another gymnocalycium flowered
Another gymnocalycium flowered
DSCN7492.jpg (115.14 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7528.jpg
DSCN7528.jpg (121.51 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii Hibotan flowered
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii Hibotan flowered
DSCN7538.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7508.jpg
DSCN7508.jpg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7468.jpg
DSCN7468.jpg (123.9 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7451.jpg
DSCN7451.jpg (111.26 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7466.jpg
DSCN7466.jpg (111.35 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
I've seen a big Echinofossulocactus and couldn't believe how gorgeous it becomes
I've seen a big Echinofossulocactus and couldn't believe how gorgeous it becomes
DSCN7456.jpg (109 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Agave gypsophyla
Agave gypsophyla
DSCN7474.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
DSCN7519.jpg
DSCN7519.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Haworthia radula
Haworthia radula
DSCN7473.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
My subdenudata was staying the same for months, so I changed her soil mix to a less gritty with more organic added
My subdenudata was staying the same for months, so I changed her soil mix to a less gritty with more organic added
DSCN7483.jpg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Aloe mitriformis
Aloe mitriformis
DSCN7511.jpg (108.02 KiB) Viewed 11781 times
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hello everybody! Hope all of you are doing great and so do your beloved plants!
I have been very driven into making my collection get bigger but more importantly, more diverse and with some much wanted for me cacti.
My great love has been the Ferocactus genus and I now have nine of them and intend to keep adding. I love the color of the spines, the shapes, the different species! I am going to move some of my bigger plants onto the terrace, so I can have more space for my plants.
I got myself two Ariocarpi, some Astrophytum, but more important of all, I have made some new, precious friends that share the same passion!
So, have a glimpse into my cacti world friends, I hope you enjoy looking at my plants and give some needed feedback!
Attachments
In the process of establishing
In the process of establishing
DSCN8346.jpg (114.31 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
I even had fruit from a big cactus I got as a present
I even had fruit from a big cactus I got as a present
DSCN8928.jpg (126.28 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Taste was like jasmin
Taste was like jasmin
DSCN8925.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
My Mammillaria prolifera with fruit
My Mammillaria prolifera with fruit
DSCN9357.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Got darker in the summer sun
Got darker in the summer sun
DSCN9143.jpg (113.11 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Fingers crossed!
Fingers crossed!
DSCN9120.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
More fruit
More fruit
DSCN9102.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
I love those spines
I love those spines
DSCN9112.jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Astrophytum
Astrophytum
DSCN9119.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
All getting bigger
All getting bigger
DSCN8899.jpg (108.74 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
My precious Ario flowering, what a thrill
My precious Ario flowering, what a thrill
DSCN9331.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Ferocactus hamatacanthus glowing in the greek sun
Ferocactus hamatacanthus glowing in the greek sun
DSCN8837.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Cherised, gift from a friend
Cherised, gift from a friend
DSCN9364.jpg (111.37 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Part of my collection
Part of my collection
DSCN9293.jpg (144.83 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
DSCN9343.jpg
DSCN9343.jpg (114.24 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Sinocrassula yunanensis
Sinocrassula yunanensis
DSCN8308.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Small Lophophora
Small Lophophora
DSCN8428.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Good morning/evening everyone! How are you?
The weather keeps being mild for the end of November, we just had some rains the previous week. I keep moving the cacti that I have
exposed, as I have stopped watering for this season. I will only keep watering the very small pots, every month or so and on sunny days followed by mild weather, as much as this is possible, lightly of course.

I got myself some long wanted ferocacti, I'm enamored with them! I changed the position of the plants, so cacti are getting as much sunlight as possible and keeping other succulents on the side of the balcony that is semi shaded.
I went to the Hellenic Cacti and other Succulents Society show and enjoyed myself so much! The colors, the shapes, the variety, the spikes on those plants, everything was special, a marvelous sight, breathtakin' species and such an interesting study/seminar on the genus Turbinicarpus! I am so grateful to people that help me along the way, it is important for me to learn as much as I can for the plants I have in my care. So, hope you enjoy the images I have taken of my latest additions. They come from a great grower and I feel honored to have them under my care from now on. Gonna do my best to keep them healthy, happy and strong!
Attachments
My feros in the greek sun
My feros in the greek sun
DSCN9433.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Ferocactus herrerae
Ferocactus herrerae
DSCN9450.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Ferocactus rectispinus
Ferocactus rectispinus
DSCN9418.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Ferocactus latispinus
Ferocactus latispinus
DSCN9452.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Ferocactus wislizenii ssp herrerae brevispinus
Ferocactus wislizenii ssp herrerae brevispinus
DSCN9467.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Ferocactus chrysacanthus
Ferocactus chrysacanthus
DSCN9449.jpg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Sulcorebutia violacidermis
Sulcorebutia violacidermis
DSCN9365.jpg (81.02 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Astrophytum crassispinum, a cherished gift from a friend.
Astrophytum crassispinum, a cherished gift from a friend.
DSCN9404.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Gymnocalycium I think, but not sure of the species
Gymnocalycium I think, but not sure of the species
DSCN9412.jpg (118.77 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
My Echinocactus grusonii needs repotting, the spines have started to touch the inside of the pot
My Echinocactus grusonii needs repotting, the spines have started to touch the inside of the pot
DSCN9309.jpg (133.55 KiB) Viewed 11384 times
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hello everybody! Hope you, your loved ones and your succulents are doing alright!
We've entered the winter and with it came some cold days and nights. Lots of cloudy mornings with rather soft rains but chilling cold.
I keep moving the most sensitive cacti that are exposed into their indoor shelter, which is not permanent and the sunny days I move them again outside. Fussy for sure! I'm glad I have closed the other succulents into the stands with plastic sheets, a rather poor temporary solution. Most of the nights the temperature doesn't go below the 10-12oC, so that should do. I will buy one or two rolls of frost resistant sheets to cover them just in case.
I have decided to close all the balcony with transparent canopy, so I don't have to continuously moving plants around. I'm afraid of spines being broken if I keep on doing this, as accidents happen.
Today we went to another collector's house, she is a friend of mine. I helped her identify some cacti, I wrote her some labels, helped her move some cacti around. Some of her plants were etiolated unfortunately, they were held in the shade, hope they make it in spring. Well, I hope all of our plants do! She is one of my favorite cacti persons and we have so much fun talking about our plant loves, what we got, what we dream of getting, all our coffee sessions turn mostly around our hobby, and that sure is funny!
Right now the sun is shining outside but the days are shorter and the light is not enough for most of our succulents to keep growing. I try to give them as much sun as possible. So, have a look at some pictures I took of my cacti and other succulents and I wish you a great day/or night! :)
Attachments
DSCN9650.jpg
DSCN9650.jpg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9610.jpg
DSCN9610.jpg (107.63 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9589.jpg
DSCN9589.jpg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9603 (1).jpg
DSCN9603 (1).jpg (107.33 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9663.jpg
DSCN9663.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9404.jpg
DSCN9404.jpg (108.72 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9448.jpg
DSCN9448.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9576.jpg
DSCN9576.jpg (90.79 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
DSCN9433.jpg
DSCN9433.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 11249 times
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Your collection has grown marvellously marina! Im really jealous. You have been bitten hard by the cactus bug.
Those ferocacti sure are amazing!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Just like Elie, I'm also jealous of your collection! I wasn't aware there's so many different feros!

You have really interesting species there, I especially like the one in pic DSCN9603 (1).jpg, may I ask what it is?
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

Pompom wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm I especially like the one in pic DSCN9603 (1).jpg, may I ask what it is?
That one caught my eye too! Maybe it's something like eriosyce aurata?

Rachel.
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:04 pm Your collection has grown marvellously marina! Im really jealous. You have been bitten hard by the cactus bug.
Those ferocacti sure are amazing!
Hello there Elie! So glad to hear from you and thank you for the feedback! I'm so pleased to hear you like what I've been doing all those months! Yes, I admit I've been bitten very hard by the bug! I can't imagine myself without my cacti any more! It was good that we decided to finally take the step and invest on making things on the outside of our home, it's definitely a work in progress still though. I am enjoying every part of it, I fully confess, it is delightful to study, acquire, take care of, love plants, all the way! :)
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Pompom wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm Just like Elie, I'm also jealous of your collection! I wasn't aware there's so many different feros!

You have really interesting species there, I especially like the one in pic DSCN9603 (1).jpg, may I ask what it is?
Thank you very much Pompom! There are so many species and I have grown incredibly fond of the genus, the more I study it the more I see and want to have! hehe, don't we all anyway? As SpikyLover identified it, (btw Hello Spiky!, how are you doing?) it is indeed an Eriosyke aurata, sorry I had been in a hurry and did not mention the species on each photograph. How are you and your beautiful cacti, is the winter giving you a hard time?
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

So, hello guys! How are you? All those days were rainy except some sporadic days of sunshine which the cacti need so much. It's not really usual for us to have so many rainy days in my area and I am trying to keep everything dry, by keeping the plants covered and by even mopping extensively the balcony floor when the rain stops, so as not to further enhance the humidity around the cacti and other succulents when the sun gets out. I have managed to keep everything safe till now, but the winter has just started and it is expected to be a rather heavy one for my neck of the woods.

I wanted to show you some images I had taken of the gorgeous specimens at the Hellenic Cacti and other Succulents Society show. I should have done it earlier, but anyway, here they are! I hope you enjoy looking at them as much I did at the show. I realized that I am growing fonder of some cacti when I have the chance to see them grown and mature. I am now fonder of numerous astrophytum species for example at the time being.

HELLENIC CACTI AND OTHER SUCCULENTS SOCIETY SHOW, June 2018
Part 1
Attachments
DSCN6901.jpg
DSCN6901.jpg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6903.jpg
DSCN6903.jpg (84.24 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6905.jpg
DSCN6905.jpg (100.89 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6907.jpg
DSCN6907.jpg (130.45 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6909.jpg
DSCN6909.jpg (100.2 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6910.jpg
DSCN6910.jpg (176.61 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6911.jpg
DSCN6911.jpg (150.49 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6912.jpg
DSCN6912.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6913.jpg
DSCN6913.jpg (169.78 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6915.jpg
DSCN6915.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6916.jpg
DSCN6916.jpg (130.04 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DSCN6918.jpg
DSCN6918.jpg (121.68 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

HELLENIC CACTI AND OTHER SUCCULENTS SOCIETY SHOW, June 2018
Part 2
Attachments
DSCN6924.jpg
DSCN6924.jpg (139.11 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6922.jpg
DSCN6922.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6921.jpg
DSCN6921.jpg (131.11 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6925.jpg
DSCN6925.jpg (142.92 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6927.jpg
DSCN6927.jpg (116.24 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6923.jpg
DSCN6923.jpg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6933.jpg
DSCN6933.jpg (104.58 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6934.jpg
DSCN6934.jpg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6930.jpg
DSCN6930.jpg (193.54 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
DSCN6932.jpg
DSCN6932.jpg (156.78 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
Last edited by DesertSun on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese proverb