A few pics

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John C

Post by John C »

Nice agaves! And awsome observatory! That would be so neat! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

speaking of observatories did anyone look for any of the meteors during the shower the other night?

I saw 3 over the 2 days it was supposed to be!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

I saw a meteor that was huge last night!!! Biggest thing I think I've ever seen in the sky. You could see the gases burning off it. it came into sight and left sight over the horizon. It was so bright that i could see it through cloud cover that was hiding all the stars in the sky. Really really cool!!!
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Dmyerswny wrote:I saw a meteor that was huge last night!!! Biggest thing I think I've ever seen in the sky. You could see the gases burning off it. it came into sight and left sight over the horizon. It was so bright that i could see it through cloud cover that was hiding all the stars in the sky. Really really cool!!!
Cool 8)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

More Agaves and my new E. trigona, potted, so I can bring it inside as needed this winter. In order:

A. bovicornuta
A. desmettiana variegata
A. celsii v. Nova (A. 'nova')
A. salmiana v. ferox
A. victoriae-reginae x scabra (A. 'sharkskin')

Last edited by GermanStar on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Also, some new cactus additions.....

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Love the plants, but the 4-legged one is my favorite! They are just so much more huggable than an agave or cactus.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Good looking additions. :D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I really like the appearance of those plants with the uniform crushed rock "top-dressing". Very nicely done!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Thanks, I've now added 29 plants to my backyard. If I don't stop soon, my poor dogs will have no place to relieve themselves. For goodness sake, I ran out of ground and started buying large pots. I need an intervention! :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

I wish I had the room for all those great agaves.
Im sticking to only the smaller species now, save one Octopus Agave (Agave vilmoriniana). Most large species have a tendancy to take over in the ground.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Most of mine are smaller, the Nova, A. pacifica (intentionally misnamed for ID purposes :)) and A. scabra get pretty good sized, and I have a few A. americana (one monster, one medium, and a couple of smaller pups) out in front, but most/all the rest should stay pretty small (3' or less). I also have an A. parryi truncata in front (and one in the back), which for my money, is about the toughest, most bulletproof Agave of 'em all. My main consideration for the front is whether the plant would be eaten by Javalina or not, so I tend to keep the more delicate specimens in my backyard, where they're eaten by rabbits instead. :roll:
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

GermanStar wrote:... My main consideration for the front is whether the plant would be eaten by Javalina or not, so I tend to keep the more delicate specimens in my backyard, where they're eaten by rabbits instead. :roll:
I'm glad that 'possums and armadillo have not developed a taste for agave and cactus in general, otherwise I'd be in deep trouble,
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I'll tell you, you go outside and find a big hunk torn off one your beautiful plants that was absolutely perfect the day before, and it can make your blood boil. Rabbits in particular, can be very destructive, tearing plants to shreds that they don't eat, presumably just because they're bored. :protest:

If you start having that kind of trouble, you could always get yourself a guard gator.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

GermanStar wrote: If you start having that kind of trouble, you could always get yourself a guard gator.
Trouble with guard gators, in addition to their tiny little brains, is that they snack on little dogs.