Cool happenings up my way...

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Cool happenings up my way...

Post by daiv »

StrUktO wrote:the buiningii looks to be a nice healthy plant, very strange that it flowers so weakly!
This is not normal for this plant - it is the result of going dormant while in the process of flowering. Actually, if it was a weaker plant, the buds would have probably just fell off. Here is the same plant when it was much smaller:

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

yes, that looks more like it! maybe it will make some buds this year...
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It sure should - we've had some rainy/cloudy days so things are a bit slow, but as soon as the sun comes back out, I think the flowers will really start kicking in here.
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote:It sure should - we've had some rainy/cloudy days so things are a bit slow, but as soon as the sun comes back out, I think the flowers will really start kicking in here.
wettest April in a 100 years here ..............things are kicking in now though :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ha ha - Hob - I was just thinking today - "This must be what it feels like in England!" :P :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well, I think I need to move this thread into "Member Topics" and rename it. Now that I've said that, I realize this will be past tense for anyone reading this - so I moved this into Member topics because it was just turning out to be my 2012 thread anyway. :mrgreen:

So here are some more happenings:

I have several E. viridiflorus blooming away:
zz_virid.jpg
zz_virid.jpg (349.79 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
That Turb from Craig Fry is also doing its thing (I have to check the species on this one I think it is T. saueri):
zz_turb.jpg
zz_turb.jpg (282.63 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
This Stenocactus is always one of the first to bloom for me.
zz_steno.jpg
zz_steno.jpg (371.58 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Now for some sad news.... My first seed-to-flower plant died over the winter. These aren't particularly long-lived plants anyway. E. mirabilis remains:
zz_death.jpg
zz_death.jpg (256.66 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Also, a few of the plants I got from GeneS this spring started to scorch so I had to quickly move them under the bench where they only get part sun. This one took the worst hit, but I'm sure it will recover.
zz_scortch.jpg
zz_scortch.jpg (439.67 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
I had this happen with plants I got from Craig Fry too. I just have to get used to the fact that plants from California aren't necessarily acclimated to the strong MN sun! :shock: #-o
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Looks more like pure heat damage to me. Perhaps you have them a bit close to the side wall or glass where there is little or no air circulation. Late afternoon sun as well if my guess is correct.

If it were just sun/UV damage I would expect the new tender growth at the apex to show the first damage.

Another part of the acclimation puzzle is know what the "before" condition was. Craig and I are both costal folk. In spring, we have morning fog or cloud cover from the coastal influences. Burns off anytime from 9 - noon, leaving an effective day length (insolation time) that is much shorter then in your northern, fog free climes. In summer here, I am cloud covered until 10 or 11 and fogged in by 6-7 pm. Compare with your 14-16 hours of sunlight.
My smaller plants -- the seedlings I sent you - are under 30% shade but get lots of heat and air due to my GH and fans. Craig has similiar conditions.

Under the bench might be a bit extreme but some 30-50% shade cloth and a big fan would surely be a help in the transition to your conditions.

Cheers ... GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Gene,
The one pictured is by far the most affected. I had then in the center, in a line up against larger pots on one side. I thought that would be enough protection, but also kept an eye out just in case.

One thing that surprises me is that I put my plants out in spring - sometime around May 1. All my plants that sit in the basement all winter in complete dark go directly out into the greenhouse. Only a few show a brief lightening up of the upper surfaces and quickly acclimate. My conclusion on that is that the conditions while the growth is occurring is what makes the difference. Since the dormant plants do not put on new growth, the growth that comes out in spring is growth that occurred in the greenhouse.

Whereas the plants from you did their growing in different conditions.

Oh and "under the bench" still has plenty of light as the bottom of the bench is about 2 feet off the ground and light on both sides. So they get direct sun, but less of it and it is cooler there of course.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers! too bad about the mirabilis though, did you sow new ones?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:
zz_virid.jpg
zz_virid.jpg (349.79 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
What a color.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

On the mirabilis - I don' think they are self-fertile as the seed all looked no good in the fruits.

I thought this was need on M. hahniana - bud-flower-fruit all at once:
bud_flower_fruit.jpg
bud_flower_fruit.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Tony

Post by Tony »

I cant say all, but all of the Setiechinopsis miribilis i have grown have set seed on their own.
In fact, If you want to give that plant another go, I have 5 or 6 fruits full of seed ready.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tony,
The seed was brown in my fruits -looked no good to me, but maybe that is the way they look. Thanks for the offer of seed. I am thinking about starting another seed batch later in the year - I was pretty discouraged after getting zero germination on my last attempt.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

seed was brown in my fruits
That's correct. The fruit will dehisce vertically when ripe. Just wait for it before collecting as the seed will not fall out without some help.

It appears to have good storage life as well. I have germinated seed that was 5-10 years old with good results.

Cheers ... Gene
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks Gene - then I should have plenty of seed!

First flower on T. bicolor from Darryl - this will be flowering all year long - such a rewarding plant!
014_bicolor.jpg
014_bicolor.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 1671 times