Outdoor cactus bed in Houston, Texas

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
RichR

Re:

Post by RichR »

daiv wrote:Is it really that wet in Houston? I wouldn't have thought so. I think temp-wise you can grow a lot of variety. It might be easier to list the things you can't grow.

But some you should grow would be Cylindropuntia (bigelovii, acanthocarpa, echinocarpa, and others), Echinocactus, Echinocereus, Escobaria, Coryphantha just for starters.
Houston's average annual rainfall is 48-50". (http://average-rainfall-cities.findthed ... ston-Texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Saxicola

Re: Outdoor cactus bed in Houston, Texas

Post by Saxicola »

Just noticed this thread. Looks like a great bed you have! My only concern is if you are putting too much in too little space. Right now things are fine, but what happens 5 years from now when everything is getting big? I'm assuming you intend to put the potted plants in the ground too. If not then the spacing you have of what is in the ground already is probably ok.

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about humid summers. There are a lot of cactus growers I know or know of in Thailand that grow and sell amazing plants. It is every bit as hot and humid, and wet, as Houston and it isn't a problem for them. Of course the coldest night of the year there is around 65-70 degrees (people actually start wearing thick coats when that happens)! So your winters aren't the same, but as far as summers go I don't see a problem so long as that bed drains well.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

The potted plants are just there because the porch was getting crowded :D

Although I have been thinking about expanding the bed or moving the opuntias out, they grow too fast.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley
dattdude

Post by dattdude »

Great cacti garden! In your zone the rain is very thick with large heavy drops. I stay in the same zone and sometimes have to move my plants undercover when it rains heavy for some odd days in a row! Then of course it get steamy humid which slows the drying out process. I have discovered the columnar echinopsis and like them a lot! The cutting root very easy and they like the hot hot weather! I keep mine in pots and frantically move them out of unfavorable elements but they seem to be a lot stronger than other cacti i grow. I'd be nervous planting them in the ground like u did tho! Kudos! Looks spectacular!
Zone 4a possible -35 F