New growth

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
DodoBrooke

Re: New growth

Post by DodoBrooke »

Gotta love the new growth pics!!
Fero seedling is adorable and Mamm seedling so big in not even one year time, impressive.
Enjoy the M.Crinita long lasting flowering... =D>
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am So nice pictures you have here!
How kind of you to say so. I have learned that with photography if you take lots and lots of pictures, eventually one or two of them will turn out well.
Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am You must have a very good camera when you can take pictures this detailed!
The Echeveria lucita and the Mammillaria karwinskiana did not focus well. I apologize for those. I didn't look at them closely enough before posting them.

I have a Fujifilm S4500. The camera retails, or did when I bought it, for about 170USD. I bought one that had had its box opened and was missing the instruction manual for $130. There's a bunch of stuff that it does automatically. It also has all the manual modes that a DSLR has. But it is not a DSLR. It's just a cheap digital camera. The lens cannot be removed. But it's got a pretty good Optical zoom on it. I will have to say that I think that the Optics are pretty good . It takes panoramic pictures. It has several macro modes and these are the pictures that you are exclaiming are so good. I agree with you. I think the macro pictures exhibit extremely fine focus and a great deal of detail. It takes very good macro photos, but I don't think that I would say it was a very good camera. But only because it was so cheap

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 am If you don't mind I'd like to post pictures of my Karwinskianas new growth...
PLEASE DO! Please feel free to post anything you want in any of my topics. This forum is all about exchanging information, and I would not think for the first second and doing anything that would inhibit that.

But there is a side benefit also. I speak unequivocally, and without any hesitation when I say that the members here at this forum are our friends. The are, one and all, wonderful people. The members here, who all share one common interest, are kind, polite, and freely giving of their time and knowledge. I would not hesitate in the slightest to say that I am proud to be a member here.

I am posting pictures that I have taken in the last couple of minutes of my Mammillaria karwinskiana & my Lobivia aurea for your comparison convenience. But I'm using my tablet to do so which does not take pictures as good as my camera does.
20180526_182720-1024x768.jpg
20180526_182720-1024x768.jpg (116.85 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
20180526_182755-768x1024.jpg
20180526_182755-768x1024.jpg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
20180526_182804-1024x768.jpg
20180526_182804-1024x768.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 1601 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am Always pleasant to read through your posts wayne!
What a kind thing for you to say. Quite gratifying to hear... especially from the Shakespeare quoting Lebanese whose postings are always full of the most beautiful pictures. :D

ElieEstephane wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am I went to buy some bluberries and completely forgot! thanks for the reminder.
Ha, ha, ha...
You are everso welcome :D
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

saboten wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:07 pm I love the pictures!
Ah, I'm glad you found them interesting. I was hoping someone would.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom... I'll add my request to Elie's... Post your hiking pictures. I would love to see pictures of Finland. You can post them here if you need a place to put them.

Hmmmm... Finland... This just occurred to me... There's a musical group from Finland called Amberian Dawn... Are you familiar with them? I really rather like some of the stuff they do. That operatically trained female voice is just unbelievably beautiful!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

DodoBrooke wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:43 pm Gotta love the new growth pics!!
I am very glad you found them interesting. I hope someone would when I posted them. This whole Forum thing is about sharing knowledge. And I thought I would show others that consider themselves NOOBS what some new growth look like. Maybe something they hadn't seen before. I'm gratified to be able to contribute something to the knowledge base of this forum. Even if it's just something that's remotely interesting.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Here are the pictures of my Karwinskiana and stenocereus. I'm sorry, the colors are not right in the pictures since there's window right behind the plants and the light makes the pictures foggy. Karwinskiana had pretty long winter but it doesn't seem to care about it. It has awoken and growing new spines like crazy. I'd really want it to flower some day because I want to know what kind of flowers it produces.
Stenocereus I bought about six months ago has finally woken up. I posted pics of it a week ago (left picture) and that's how it had been for six months. The pictures have a week apart and you can clearly see the difference in the middle spines. It seems to grow much thicker and maybe also longer spines than ever before. This plant is already top-heavy and I'm pretty sure it's going to have surgery in the future like waynes plants. It takes many years for it to grow dangerously tall so I don't need to worry about cutting it yet. When I repotted the stenocereus, I had to cover the base stem for about 0.5cm length with the clayballs seen in picture to give the plant support. I said a week ago that it was still wobbly because it didn't want to root well. It has no strong thick roots but only those hairy roots. Maybe that's why it can't stand still. I've done my best with it and it seems to be just fine after all.
growthkarw.jpg
growthkarw.jpg (134.37 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
stenocereusgrowth.jpg
stenocereusgrowth.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
I really want to get in the nature and take pictures for you! I need to read about how to take even average landscape pictures. I'm really bad in it. I like detailed pictures more. It seems I can't go for hiking at least for a moth since Finland is having really bad drought now. The news say the country is having record-breaking dryness. But I try my best to take pictures for you whenever I go outside and see beautiful things!
There's this local photographer in instagram who mostly takes pictures of wildlife and his pictures are little dark spirited but he also adds pictures of the scenes too! Here's the link to his account, I hope it helps your hunger of Lapland pictures https://www.instagram.com/cvltfvck/?hl=fi
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am There's this local photographer in instagram who mostly takes pictures of wildlife and his pictures are little dark spirited but he also adds pictures of the scenes too! Here's the link to his account, I hope it helps your hunger of Lapland pictures https://www.instagram.com/cvltfvck/?hl=fi
Oh those pictures are gorgeous! I like their dark nature too!
And don't worry about the stenocereus. Mine have grown less than 1 cm from the beginning of the season so i'd say yours is doing pretty well. Notice the grey skin. Thats how much they grew:
20180527_123020-1280x960.jpg
20180527_123020-1280x960.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Young columnars generally have weak root systems. Weight by weigh, mammillarias like your karwinskiana have at least 5 times more roots than some columnars. Here are some 4 year old thrixanthocereus i repotted today. These roots seem to be sufficient for them to double in size every year. Tallest is around 25cm:
20180527_101056-960x1280.jpg
20180527_101056-960x1280.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
20180527_101059-960x1280.jpg
20180527_101059-960x1280.jpg (116.42 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
Attachments
20180527_101056-960x1280.jpg
20180527_101056-960x1280.jpg (95.46 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 am Oh those pictures are gorgeous! I like their dark nature too!
And don't worry about the stenocereus. Mine have grown less than 1 cm from the beginning of the season so i'd say yours is doing pretty well.
Young columnars generally have weak root systems.
Aren't they! :D Pictures with many many rocks laying around are my favorite! Scenes like that are found here and there in the woods and are from end of the ice age, when the ice started to melt and scraped the crag with it. In the southern Finland there's large glacial erratics found here and there in the middle of the woods because the ice moved them there a very long time ago. I'm about to make a daytrip to somewhere close in next few weeks and take pictures from there for you! That's kinda cool phenomenon too.

I wonder what's the scientific explanation for the small root system of the columnars. Why they don't need more? They grow tall and still have such a small root system. How they stand up in the wind? As for my stenocecreus, it's now growing FAST. The right picture was taken yesterday and today the very right new spine is longer than the spine next to it. I wonder how much it have grown month later. I can't wait.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Ooohhh... Pompom... Thanks severely for the link. Some of those pictures were just extraordinary. I really love the ones of the birds eating from the hand of the photographer.
You can plant one of the pilosocereus in the groun wayne. They only take up vertical space.
Nah, nah, nah, nah Elie.... I mean that there is NO room.
20180527_164822-1024x768.jpg
20180527_164822-1024x768.jpg (165.15 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
20180527_165000-1024x768.jpg
20180527_165000-1024x768.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm Ooohhh... Pompom... Thanks severely for the link. Some of those pictures were just extraordinary. I really love the ones of the birds eating from the hand of the photographer.
You're welcome :D I don't know why, but I am somehow scared of little birds. It might be because of my cat. When I was kid my cat used to hunt little birds and let's say I have seen stuff little child might not need to see... :lol: I've seen half eaten birds, a graveyard of birds (sometimes my cat had serious sprees and and hunted just for fun and stacked the dead birds in one place), chunks of birds the cat vomited inside etc... Worst thing was that my cat brought in hen fleas? inside every summer so I've grown to kind of hate and be afraid of small birds. I of course was proud of my little hunter but didn't like the outcome. I see little birds as carriers of their insides and fleas. :roll:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:56 am ... I am somehow scared of little birds.... carriers of their insides and fleas....
I have not so much a fear of little creatures as a general dislike of wildlife in general, as carriers of vermin (such as fleas) and diseases. Even cats and dogs carry vermin. You may recall that the black plague was carried by the fleas that mice and rats bore. Who knows what the bite of a wild animal carries? You hear on an irregular basis that raccoons carry rabies. And if raccoons do, then why not other animals? I cannot help but feel that insects may very will be the carriers of something that I'm sure you wouldn't want to have. You always hear about mosquitoes being the carriers of some kind of disease. I just don't think we as human beings have any business living with wildlife. I don't like unsanitary conditions.

I live in a very rural setting. In the summertime, when the trees are in full leaf, you almost cannot see my nearest neighbors house. And their house (when we can see it) is the only house we can see. We quite regularly see deer, raccoons, groundhogs, possums and skunks. I much prefer living in nice clean sanitary conditions, and not have to deal with the vagaries of what kind of pests or vermin or diseases wild animals and insects might carry.

And please, please, please, please... DON'T get me started on spiders!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm And please, please, please, please... DON'T get me started on spiders!
Oh whyyy?! I love them! They like to setup bridges between columnar cacti and between the long spines. I try to nurse them with mosquitoes i kill because i have often seen all sorts of nasty insects in their webs that should not be seen somewhere else. On several occasions i have found mealybugs trapped in their webs.
(Btw, we dont have any poisonnous spiders here)
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:34 pm
WayneByerly wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm And please, please, please, please... DON'T get me started on spiders!
Oh whyyy?! I love them!
And please, please, please, please... DON'T get me started on spiders!

i have a problem with spiders like you have a problem with birds.

BUT ... while I was looking at my Hens & Chicks (in a hanging basket outside my front door. They stay outside, all through the winter with NO assistance and come back EVERY YEAR) I saw this interestingly colored insect. it's only got six legs, so its not a spider... I have NO idea what it is, pest or no ... but it had an interesting color, so i thought i would show it to ya'll here.

20180527_155050-1024x768.jpg
20180527_155050-1024x768.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
20180527_155034-1024x768.jpg
20180527_155034-1024x768.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:54 pm i have a problem with spiders like you have a problem with birds.
Love those too! Except pigeons i hate pigeons! Their sounds are very annoying
Used to hunt a lot of birds. They're so delicious baked with garlic and lemon juice. Now i just admore their beauty