My First Cycad's From Seed. UPDATE 3/22/13

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: My First Cycad's From Seed. UPDATE 3/22/13

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hahaha I am laughing because W. filifera is a native tree here in AZ. There is a stand of them near New River, AZ. And some further west near Wickenberg I think as well, and probably some other places. (it's very hot and dry where they seem to grow) They are kinda neat seedlings.
:)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

We have some native plants here in Slovenia too. Washingtonia filifera isn't one of them. They die pretty easy here if left outside during winter. #-o But we have some good grapevine that growing good. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

John C

Post by John C »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:hahaha I am laughing because W. filifera is a native tree here in AZ. There is a stand of them near New River, AZ. And some further west near Wickenberg I think as well, and probably some other places. (it's very hot and dry where they seem to grow) They are kinda neat seedlings.
:)
I would love to visit their habitat one day - in AZ and CA. They, pretty much, are my favorite palm for many reasons. Mainly because they do excellent in our climate. They grow incredibly quick here. They are fun to grow from seed too.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

hmm I might have to grow some from seed. As I said there are some natural ones here in AZ. Not all of them are of course, they do well in the Phoenix Metro area, but they weren't native to there I dont think. It was more west of Phoenix, and also north. (of course the ones by New River, are in Maricopa County, but it's huge. Yavapai and Maricopa County are both bigger than the entire state of New Jersey (in land area) by themselves. If you are ever coming this way let me know. :) I can show ya some of the native cacti in habitat too :) My pictures don't do some of them justice. :)
John C

Post by John C »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:hmm I might have to grow some from seed. As I said there are some natural ones here in AZ. Not all of them are of course, they do well in the Phoenix Metro area, but they weren't native to there I dont think. It was more west of Phoenix, and also north. (of course the ones by New River, are in Maricopa County, but it's huge. Yavapai and Maricopa County are both bigger than the entire state of New Jersey (in land area) by themselves. If you are ever coming this way let me know. :) I can show ya some of the native cacti in habitat too :) My pictures don't do some of them justice. :)
Interesting! If I ever make it out there, I might let you know. Seems like there is a lot of neat things to see there! 8)
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

John C. yes there are. There are a lot of neat plants. :) The cool part is you can see those from the main interstate that links Phx to Flagstaff. If you are coming here do let me know. I can met you near where those palms grow and we could take a little hike. :) As for cacti, well I can show you them as well.
majcka

Post by majcka »

majcka wrote:Thank you Tracy. I soak seeds and all of them were in the water. None were floating. So I guess they are OK. Well we'll see, don't we?
One of them just sprouted:
Cycas revoluta.JPG
Cycas revoluta.JPG (60.83 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

majcka wrote:
majcka wrote:Thank you Tracy. I soak seeds and all of them were in the water. None were floating. So I guess they are OK. Well we'll see, don't we?
One of them just sprouted:
Cycas revoluta.JPG

Thats awsome Majcka. =D> CONGRATS to germination it takes alot of waiting for those seeds to germ sometimes but then again sometimes the germ quickly they are sloooooooooooooooooooow growing. 2 of mine are finaly putting out there 3rd leaf wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooo yes rewarding and greatful to see new growth but very very slow LOL!! :lol: Keep us posted on how its doing and when your first leaf apears.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
majcka

Post by majcka »

*Barracuda_52* wrote:Keep us posted on how its doing and when your first leaf apears.. :wink:
Coming out of the dark! At least I think that's it. Can I say that is what Tracy says "...when your first leaf apears."?
Cycas revoluta.JPG
Cycas revoluta.JPG (154.54 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
If someone needs a magnifying glass pleas let me know so I can provide some.
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet its kind hard to see it but i think its safe to say you might have your first leaf making a aperance.. =D> Looking good.. :thumbright:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
John C

Post by John C »

Awesome! Good growing Maja!
"Where the West begins"
majcka

Post by majcka »

I have news for you. Another one sprouting:
Cycas revoluta.jpg
Cycas revoluta.jpg (172.09 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Even nicer! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Looks like I'll be able to play soon too, got more seeds forming than what I possibly could use or even would want to use!

Still remains to be seen if they are viable though but so far it doesn't look to shabby.