Rebutia cintiensis

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Leon Pez

Rebutia cintiensis

Post by Leon Pez »

I purchase a plant under the name Rebutia cintiensis thinking I was getting Rebutia fiebrigii. Now that I search the web for other photos of R. fiebrigii and even photos that are under the name R. cintiensis I don't see anything comparable.

What is it? Is it even part of the Rebutia complex. The height of the plant from the soil up to the tip of the highest spine is 4"(10cm).

[center]Image[/center]

Leon

Collecting Rebutia and hardy cacti.
vlani

Post by vlani »

Rebutias cross easily. Under that name you are getting something with long cultivation history.
Looks like somefing from what they called "robusta" is present in the plant
hob

Post by hob »

looks a lot like Rebutia residua discovered by Knize under his collection number KK1517 an unrecognised name.

this is mine

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I'm not quite sure what you want to see - some of these look a bit like your plant, I'd say: here, the picture at this site

Ritter's description says it should have radial spines 12-15, thin white, 5-7mm long, directed sideways, centrals 4-8, red, more robust, very spreading.

The photo he provides is pretty useless but seems to be a young plant, ~2 years old and probably not as spiny as it would be later.
Leon Pez

Rebutia cintiensis

Post by Leon Pez »

Hob,
The lower portion of your plant sure does look like mine. I wonder what caused the difference in spine structure on your plant. It appears that last year's growth is different from earlier years'.

I am anxious to see mine bloom to know if it compares to yours.

Hob, you collect Rebutias? I just started collecting but haven't gotten too far with it yet. I am having some problem with the list of current species in the genus and which ones are available. I was using the list at http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... butia.html but other websites seem to place plants different. I am not sure which reference would be the latest up-to-date guide to see where taxonomist are placing them this week.

It does seem that the genus Rebutia is in worse disarray than most genera.

Phil, That photo of R. cintiensis does not look very much like my plant. I looked through the Hornad.fie website and did not find anything that was similar. I will keep looking....

Leon

hob

Re: Rebutia cintiensis

Post by hob »

Leon Pez wrote:
Hob,
The lower portion of your plant sure does look like mine. I wonder what caused the difference in spine structure on your plant. It appears that last year's growth is different from earlier years'.

yes, i can't remember offhand where in the greenhouse it was last year, the amount of sunshine dictates spine growth, i will make sure it sits on the top shelf in full sun this year. :)
Leon Pez wrote:
Hob, you collect Rebutias? I just started collecting but haven't gotten too far with it yet. I am having some problem with the list of current species in the genus and which ones are available. I was using the list at http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... butia.html but other websites seem to place plants different. I am not sure which reference would be the latest up-to-date guide to see where taxonomist are placing them this week.

It does seem that the genus Rebutia is in worse disarray than most genera.

yes, taxonomy among all cacti is a mess as most here will agree.
there are 2 types of taxonomists, what we call lumper's and splitters, to a splitter Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Weingartia are separate genus to a lumper all are Rebutia.

at the moment the lumpers hold sway, the latest publication of note is The New Cactus Lexicon published by a group headed by David Hunt.

http://www.cactuslexicon.org/

however i tend to follow the older splitter view where Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Weingartia are separate genus.

my Rebutia "bible" is John Pilbeams cactus file handbook

http://cactusfile.com/cactusFile.htm

Dessert Tropicals seems to have to a great extent moved with the times and now lumps them all together

in the future genetic testing may well re arrange them yet again.

a few of mine from 2 years ago including rebutia residua

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

keep an eye on hobs topic in a few weeks for this years show :)
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
vlani

Post by vlani »

You wouldn't see Rebutia cintiensis picture similar to yours. Simply because cintiensis is not Rebutia but Weingartia really, and looks like one. Yours is Rebutia in ol' true sense.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

No - this and this are not the same.
Leon Pez

Post by Leon Pez »

Hob, Vlani, Phil,
Thanks. It seems the point is well demonstrated that Rebutia species taxonomy is in disarray. The fact that there may be hybrids floating around under species names makes things even more problematic. It does sound like all three of you lean toward the splitter philosophy.

I will wait to see what I have when this plant blooms. I picked up about 10 plants in the Rebutia complex this past weekend. Some of them seem to fit nicely into one species or another, others not. This weekend I also planted about 40 packets of seeds from Mesa Garden... Most of them Rebutias. The first planting that I did in late January are looking pretty good.

Leon