Seedlings update

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I've been using either distilled water or filtered rain water (just to take the leaves and big chunks out) and have had little problem with superfluous green flora. There's a little, but not like I've had in the past. I microwaved all the soil this time also.

Being indoors probably helps too. My previous attempts were outdoors in my cactus shelter.

It's a crap shoot, I tell ya! :?
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

About the distilled water, do you have to buy it bottled?
globetrottersara

Post by globetrottersara »

mmm... thinking of water, the water we have in this area is quite hard but we have a purification/filtering system. So far I've been using this water but I might start using the distilled water and see if anything changes. Just running tests...
"Ya know, life could be a lot worse, Sara. I could be driving a minivan." - JJ (horseman)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You may want to get a PH tester and test your current water first. That way you'll know where you stand with your tap water. It may only take a simple tablespoon of vinegar to get the PH correct. Cheaper than buying distilled water.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

CoronaCactus wrote:Cheaper than buying distilled water.
Yes, but then again, distilled water is only about 60 cents a gallon. So for seedlings, it wouldn't exactly break the bank.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Watch out with the water softeners. Many of them produce water which is bad for plants, too much sodium. Just like its bad for people :) Reverse Osmosis systems are good since they just take stuff out and don't add anything. The end result from RO can be close to the purity of distilled water but usually not so pure. Most people don't like the taste, or lack of it, of distilled water.

Hard water plus vinegar is a far cry from distilled water. Distilled water contains nothing, maybe a little dissolved carbon dioxide, which is slightly acidic. Hard water plus vinegar contains the end products of the reactions between hard water salts and vinegar. D'uhhh, you knew that right! Those end products are mostly various acetate salts of calcium and magnesium, but some of the original hard water minerals like iron salts may also still be there. You can make your own distilled water for free with a solar still, basically a sheet of glass sloped so that the condensation runs down and is collected.

Rainwater is fairly pure until it hits ground, but will certainly contain as much carbon dioxide as the water can hold plus low levels of other dissolved gases like nitrogen oxides and maybe some sulphates. Some of these are fertilisers, most are slightly acidifying. Rainwater has a pH of about 5.5, lower if you live downwind of Ohio :) Fresh distilled water has a pH of 7 but it fairly quickly drops to around 5.5 if left open to the air.
--ian
globetrottersara

Holy granola, Iann. No water seems okay, lol...
mmm, I'll start checking the pH anyway. I never really thought of the water factor. Might be interesting and useful to know what exactly I'm giving to the plants ;)
"Ya know, life could be a lot worse, Sara. I could be driving a minivan." - JJ (horseman)
globetrottersara

I have a question...

I checked the opuntias this morning and they keep growing like crazy :shock: They are about 1 1/2 - 2" tall now and all have the "central sprout" (:roll:) clearly developed.
So... when should I repot them? :?:
globetrottersara

update on the Opuntias

(photo taken today, Feb 23)

Should I transplant them? I think it's early but if they keep growing this fast, it'll soon be crowded there :-k
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Looking great! Opuntias take transplanting very well, so if you wanted, you could move these. Or they could be in there for another couple months.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

You could prick out a few and leave the rest. The ones you prick out will growth away more quickly while the others will slow down as they compete for water, nutrients, and light. Convenient if you just want one or two larger plants, not the way to go if you're planning a hedge :)
--ian
globetrottersara

hi guys, thanks for the tips :D

*gone adding another thing on the Busy Spring - To Do list*
Tony

Post by Tony »

They look great Sara. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony