The Newest Family Members Have Arrived!!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
*Barracuda_52*

The Newest Family Members Have Arrived!!

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok well these pics didnt come out to well as i was in a hurry to get them settled in so they could warm up and de-stress for the day and night. They came in alittle cold and slow and the biggest one was stuck under the moist paper towel jamed against the bottom of the deli dish, how she/he got like that i dont know, none the less there doing well and are now burrowed down into the substrate. Cute little stinkers. This is there make shift home till spring when i can make them a real nice terrairium.

Horn Frogs "Nutmeg" on the left & "Porkchop" on the right. Sliding around in there deli dish after taking out the paper towel.
Now chillin in there water dish rehydrating from the trip, "Nutmeg" on the right and "Porkchop" on the left.
and happy there outa that cold deli dish, nice and warm now and de-stressing.

Will get better pics of them in few days after they have setttle completely in. :D

I have one more frog comming in not sure exactly when due to crappy cold weather, could be a week could be 2 weeks :roll: depends on the temps, but will let you know when that one gets here..
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

YEAH!!! Congratulations on your new additions. Hubby just saw the picture and says that we NEED some!!! :D
John C

Post by John C »

COOL! 8) Congrats on the new additions! They are soooo cute!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Congrats for your new addition. 8) Those are cool. 8)
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

How cute! Cute enough that we can forgive you for not telling us the new additions weren't cacti. :wink:
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Ceratophrys :salute:! These things sure are feisty :P. Are you planning on giving them mice from time to time?
Tony

Post by Tony »

Those are cool, I like the choice of names. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey those are great additions!

Also called "Pac Man Frog" :D

It looks like you split a 20 gallon tall tank to make two in one with a piece of plexi-glass? Is that right? I like the setup. I like the way you cut the coconut shell as well.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Thanks everyone, they are cutie pies for sure, from looking at them im hoping that one is a male "Porkchop" and one a female "Nutmeg" but it dont really matter to me there loved just the same, when we had frogs back when we had the shop open, our horn frogs/females were as large as a saucer/dish the males were much smaller always calling, they were our personal pets so that when folks came into the shop they could see them. Way back then we also had Giant toads not the cane toads these were from guyana and were MUCH larger than cane toads, we also had the shop fav "SLIMEY" our South African Giant Pixie frog he was 9 inches and weighed 4.3 pounds we paid ungodly mola for him back then and there wasnt many of them around, now you can easily obtain a baby for as little as $18.00 bucks and larger they are the more expensive they are. The other frog im waitting on to get is a baby South African Giant Pixie frog. :D

CelticRose, thanks for not being mad at me for not stating they were not cacti... :oops:

Thanks tony, we always try to pick out names that not everyone uses all the time. :P

DieTer-Xz, yes we will be starting them on newborn pinks in a week or so, they will only get them a few times a month as i am feeding a mixed veriaty of prey items, crix/wax worms/night crawlers/ and so forth. They will also go thru a 10 day treament for Chytrid fungus which is devistating many frog populations and peoples pets.

daiv, thanks its a 15 gal divided, yes with plexiglass, there gona be bumped up to a 30gal long divided with a better set up, i hate going thru all the stuff in the barn durring winter, i have many many diffrent sized tanks out there and tons decorations i use for setting up a nice terrarium, gona wait till it warms up then go out and dig thru all the stuff, then gota bring it all in clean/soak in boiling bleach water. I like the coco hut to gota get another one, that one i have had for many yrs, i bleach and soak it for few hours in boiling water then scrub and rinse/rinse/rinse then bake in oven at 375 for half hr. By the way working with coconut shells is a real PAIN IN THE ARSE, they are HARD as sin. :evil: The moss is natural moss from my backyard, stupid lights make it look flunky when it actualy is green, digging under the snow to get to it is the fun part.. Once inside i keep it in dish with boiling hot water for few hrs then rinse rinse rinse..

I will get some better pics of them in few days.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool little hoppers Tracey!

I guess i'll have to get my own...i tried licking the monitor, but i don't feel any different :roll: :dontknow: :sunny:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Do you make your own coconut huts? I find that they are not too bad. A scroll saw would be the best for that job I think...

And do I understand that you boil the moss???

That Chytrid is real bad stuff - I wasn't aware it was getting pets too!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mendel

Post by mendel »

Very cool! id love to have a setup like that for my kids. weve got some empty tanks, and ive been chatting with the wifie about what kind of creepy crawlies we should get to fill them.

Just curiuos, if you lick their back do you get anything more than a weird froggie taste? I used to have this toad from Arizona in College, we called him the party toad....I let him go on the brazos river a few years back (many years ago actually).

best regards,

mendel
Southeast Colorado, zone 6b
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

*Barracuda_47* wrote:CelticRose, thanks for not being mad at me for not stating they were not cacti... :oops:
Aww... don't be embarrassed. I was just teasing. :wink:

They're extremely cool pets. :D
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
peter

Post by peter »

Nice! Very cool frogs! 8)
Ant

Post by Ant »

They are really nice and, well, different Barracuda_47*!

We have lots of frogs and toads here where I live but none as colourful!! :D
What do you mean i'm a muppet!!