IM SO EXCITED

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Tony

Post by Tony »

:thumbright:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

Looking great, Shala. It's okay if the Ferocacti turn reddish. A nice dark healthy green is good too. They like light and put on good spines over time in stronger light.

peterb
Zone 9
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

im cheating on getting a light for my plants right this second because my grandthaters is ill with skin cancer, not melanoma thank goodness. But We use florescent lighting on our stove hood, so i have been keeping them under there in the evenings to get them more light. And my older brother is going to get me some slad bowls and lids from Mcdonalds to start my other seeds in. So im so excited to be trying this. I also have about 20 people willing to take some cacti off my hands if i have success.
So new... So much to discover...Sincerely Shala
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

So another update. My fero are now showing signs of their first spines :D They were planted Sept. 12th does this seem to be on schedule for the plant? Im going to wait to post photos once then steno show their firsts.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey that sounds good to me. You got past the germination stage. Now is the most critical, but even I have finally managed to get some past the seedling stage so I'm sure you can too. :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool!
Now that the spines have started, next is tubercles. They'll start to grow a ball ontop of the 2 leaves (i think thats what they are?) and then it'll start to look more like a cactus.
peterb

Post by peterb »

patience, patience! :-)

Growing cacti from seed is often a real exercise in patience. They just do whatever they want, really. We just try to provide the most consistent care we can, over the months and years.

peterb
Zone 9
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

well the feros look like they have a scar on the top between the two "leaves" but its where the spines are coming from. Lol and i am being pacient, im just excited to see that i havent killed them yet. They are still in they Baggie Chambers, and all that, they get misted down like once a week so the soil stays moist but not soaked. The steno are a healthy green, and the feros are greenish red...
iann

Post by iann »

The line between the two leaves is where the first tubercles will appear. I'm not sure how they will do over the winter, but normally they will look like tiny adults after three or four months.

Stenocactus never seem to colour up unless they are getting seriously too much light. Ferocactus seedlings do go red, but so long as they keep some green and don't rapidly go bright scarlet or pink then they should be fine. They will grow quicker in strong light so long as it isn't damaging them, also the spines will be better.
--ian
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

Well im just happy to see that they are producing spines. I hope they make it through winter for me, if not i have not i can start in spring. and a good thing is i may be moving to a house so i might be able to build a grow box in the basement.
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

ImageStenocactus
Imageand the Fero. Winzeli how they look guys?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That Fero batch looks perfect to me! :thumbright:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

That's the stuff. I'd probably yank the densest clump of Feros out and put them in a tray or even individual pots. They won't be able to grow there for very long. Then you can leave the rest to get on with it for a few more months in case the transplanted ones all die. You can wait until spring if they are just sitting in a window for the winter.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good Shala!
Sbradford89

Post by Sbradford89 »

they are sitting in a window for now, i dont have anything else to put them in