Copiapoa

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CoronaCactus

Copiapoa

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thought i'd share some of my Copiapoa's. Some are in flower, others are growing offsets.

It's an awesome genus, despite all of them having similar flowers and being a little difficult to ID. I really like the way they can look like their 100 years old :D

I'll be adding more pics of the rest of my Copiapoa collection, so please feel free to post your Copiapoa pics!

C. hypogaea 'Liazrd Skin'

C. esmeraldana

C. coquimbana

C. krainziana

C. hypogaea

C. laui
(several different plants)

C. delbata
Our most prized Copiapoa 8)
It's in a 10inch pot and starting to push out offsets. There's another hiding on the backside.

C. tigrillensis
Another iffy ID...This name is not mentioned at all in the Cactus File Handbook :| It looks like maybe C. rupestris...?

C. marginata
Not too sure on this ID, came with this label, so i just left it...

C. humilis v. longispina
This was the best ID i could come up with. It came labeled as tenusisima, that dosen't seem to fit...haven't changed the label yet ;)

poobar

Post by poobar »

wow!
you have a beautiful cactus collection and many beautiful and healthy looking cacti! Keep up the good work. :D
john b

Post by john b »

Darryl,

All I can say is WOW! Great plants!

I have very few copiapoa, but can see how they could become addicitng.

Best,

John B
hablu

Post by hablu »

Very nice.
TFS.
Harry
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Very nice! Copiapoa and Gymno's are tops for me.

Copiapoa strike me as "other world-ly" - they have an alien quality to them, especially in habitat. Some of the pics I have seen are just stunning. I am a bit leery about caring for them though and have been slow to acquire.

Bryan
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks guys!
Happy to share, glad you enjoy :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Bryan,
I totally agree with you on the Copiapoa habitat shots. Very different from our daily experience. I would encourage you to go with the Genus however. In my experience, they are not difficult to care for. I haven't lost one yet, despite the abuse they've received from me. :|

Darryl,
Loving your post here. Fun to compare all the different ones side by side like that.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Oh dear, contradicting Copiapoa names is somewhat more dangerous than lion taming, but here goes ...

First two seem believable :)

C. coquimbana is an incredibly variable species, but one thing they all have in common is fairly stout spines. I think this is C. humilis. One sure way to separate them is that C. humilis will have big fleshy roots, all C. coquimbana have a fairly standard fibrous root system

Not much doubting the rest up to C. dealbata. I'll take two, btw ;) Actually, I have over a dozen C. dealbata but nothing like this!

C. tigrillensis is just a name applied to the collection numbers KK1385 and KK1386, nothing more and nothing less, collected near Tigrillo obviously. It is generally considered to be a form of C. longistaminea and to be frank your plant looks nothing like C. longistaminea.

C. marginata might be right, little ones can look like before the tubercles merge into ribs.

You're right about C. tenuissima, nothing like that, but it does seem to be some kind of C. humilis.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

iann wrote: Not much doubting the rest up to C. dealbata. I'll take two, btw ;) Actually, I have over a dozen C. dealbata but nothing like this!
You don't say what it is. If not C. dealbata, I'm going to guess it is probably C. cinerea? No?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thanks Daiv.

Thanks Ian. I was waiting for your reply :)
I have some on the sales racks named Copiapoa sp. 'Trigillo' of which i assume would fall under the tigrillensis name...they look very much like the one i posted. I agree, looks nothing like longistaminea!

Forgot to add my comments on the coquimbana...I also think it looks humilis like, but wasn't sure. Does coquimbana pup alot in cultivation? This one has a dozen or more new pups all over it. Not just around the base, but all over.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

daiv wrote:
iann wrote: Not much doubting the rest up to C. dealbata. I'll take two, btw ;) Actually, I have over a dozen C. dealbata but nothing like this!
You don't say what it is. If not C. dealbata, I'm going to guess it is probably C. cinerea? No?
hrmmm

According to the handbook, delbata is a variety of cinerea. Actaully, there are alot of varieties. esmaraldana is a var. of humilis, laui a var. of hypogaea, krainziana is a var. of cinerea...

I find it interesting that these plants are all realated, but no reports of hybrids (or very few)

BTW, i'm not saying the handbook is the gospel on these, it's just the only Copiapoa book i have at hand. I've already tore a bit of the binding, flipping through it non-stop for a week :P
iann

Post by iann »

No, I meant the C. dealbata looks spot on, but mine tiny babies are nothing in comparison. Opinion is divided on whether it is quite close enough to C. cinerea to be just a variety. It is currently surviving as a separate species after 20 years or so sunk under C. cinerea. One distinguishing feature is that it forms large clumps.

There are certainly hybrids between some of these related forms. C. cinerea and C. krainziana have a range of intermediate forms in habitat. I have one which has stiff white spines on a C. cinerea body. I thought I had a photo but can't find one.

One feature of Copiapoa subspecies is that they are nearly always widely separated. Close together they appear to form variable hybrid swarms and they seem to have had enough time to do it that obvious isolated hybrids are rare.
--ian
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Well I do have a few to add :)

I purchased these seedlings recently. FK1105 has me confused as Ralph Martin has it as grandiflora ssp. hornilloensis but it was tagged as taltalensis.

C. echinata (v. borealis?) FK527

C . esmeraldana FK1052

C. taltalensis FK1105

Bryan
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Splendid display of Copiapoa! You guy's knowledge is astounding!!!
Bill in SC
Keepin' the blues alive!
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great looking seedlings Bryan.

Thanks Bill.