Anderson's "The Cactus Family" as a guide to nomen

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I started a thread to this effect, but I am selling Illustrated Handbook Monocotyledons and Crassulaceae brand new, not used, mint condition, far below list. (As well as Fritz Hochstaetter's three Yucca books).

pm me if interested.

peterb
Zone 9
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

peterb,
I think I pm'ed you as you were posting :)

-R
peterb

Post by peterb »

Found an online bookstore called ecampus that had The Cactus Family for $21 as recently as 6 weeks ago. Out of stock now, of course, at that price. Wild.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

Seems likely that the speculators are in the market now. Pretty soon it will be $200/barrel. Wait, no, wrong thread ...
--ian
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

$200 for a barrel of Andersons? Sign me up!

LOL.

-R
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

I missed TimN's message about a copy of Anderson for $99, but I'm pretty excited that Amazon has a copy (which I just ordered), via one their "subsidiaries," for $200.

I made sure it was subject to Amazon's 30 day return policy, which served me well when I found out that that half-price edition of the Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants: Dicotyledons that I bought from them didn't include the color plates.

Cheers,
-R
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I am going to make a confession. My copy of Anderson's book has been on the shelf since about the time it came out. Didn't think twice about it. Now I am reading all these posts about how much the price has gone up and the difficulty of finding a copy... then for the first time I drop mine right on the binding! :x So I think. Man! What am I doing and I set it back up on top of a three-ring binder and no sooner do I turn around and bam! It hits the ground a second time! #-o

It's like growing a Ubelmannia. You find yourself growing it without even thinking about it and then you hear from others that it is a hard species to keep. Before you know it, you get worried about keeping it alive and kill it in the process!!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well Daiv, the price just went down on your damaged book. I'll give ya $50 for it :P :lol:

Sounds like your like me-- If not for badluck you'd have no luck at all :?
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Peyote Pete

Post by Peyote Pete »

Ack! That sucks Daiv. Next time you should lock it up in a treasure chest. I totally understand what you are saying about killing cacti with love. It is hard to not pay more attention to a tough grower, and it is too easy to smother with love than it is to neglect.
daiv wrote:I am going to make a confession. My copy of Anderson's book has been on the shelf since about the time it came out. Didn't think twice about it. Now I am reading all these posts about how much the price has gone up and the difficulty of finding a copy... then for the first time I drop mine right on the binding! :x So I think. Man! What am I doing and I set it back up on top of a three-ring binder and no sooner do I turn around and bam! It hits the ground a second time! #-o

It's like growing a Ubelmannia. You find yourself growing it without even thinking about it and then you hear from others that it is a hard species to keep. Before you know it, you get worried about keeping it alive and kill it in the process!!
-Peyote Pete (CSSA Member)
"Please would you like to be somewhere floating free?
Seems my destiny, Captain Fantasy
Take a minute to go down beneath the reaches of sound
You could be with me, Captain Fantasy" --Ween
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Amazon now lists Anderson for $63 w/ free shipping, with four copies in stock. Maybe they'll refund the extra $137 I paid for my copy!

-R