seeds and fruits

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
seriouscereus

seeds and fruits

Post by seriouscereus »

:?: what is the best way to start opuntia seeds?and
:?: I have heard that cholla fruit will root and make a new plant. Has anyone had any experiences with these and could inform me?
I have tried starting opuntia seeds before and they never seem to come up. Also, I just got some cuttings of cholla that had fruits attached and thought I would try and plant one and see what happens.
Thanks! -Seriouscereus
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Has anyone had any experiences with these and could inform me?
I've had a little experience with them :)
As for the Opuntia (prickly pear) it seems there is alot of variables on growing them from seed. I have had my best luck with sowing the seeds in a pot then setting the pot outside during the winter. The pot should be located so it doesn't get any weather (snow or rain)in it. When spring rolls around the seeds usually start to sprout.
The Cylindropuntia (cholla) is easier. Since you have a cutting you can stick the cutting in well draining soil and it should take root (after wound has healed). As for the pods (fruit) on the cholla there is seeds in the pods which you can also try your hand at growing.

Bill
seriouscereus

opuntia

Post by seriouscereus »

Hi Bill,
Thanks for replying to my posts. I will try and get a photo up tomorrow;hopefully the fruits and everything will still be on them- we are having one heck of a windstorm outside! :shock:
So, does the weather help germinate the opuntia seeds? I live in the deep south and it doesn't really get that cold here, but I have a greenhouse that stays unheated in one part of it. Should I plant them now? Maybe keep them in the unheated part of my greenhouse? How often should I water them? I have grown plenty of cacti from seeds but these opuntias throw me for a loop! :lol:
The cholla fruits are yellow; are they ripe?The only color I have ever seen a cholla is yellow :wink:
Anyway, I'll go for now. Thanks! :P Serious cereus
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

In my opinion-- yes the cold (cooler) weather helps to germinate the opuntia seeds. Opuntias go threw a dormant period once winter arrives. There are other methods such as soaking the seeds or chipping the hard shell on the seeds before sowing them but I have not personnelly tried these methods.
I guess it depends on how fast you want to see results as to which method you try.

I would say the fruits are ripe, cut threw the outer skin on them and you'll find seeds inside.

Are you referring to the fruit, cholla itself or flower as always seen yellow:?

Bill
seriouscereus

yellow fruits

Post by seriouscereus »

I have always seen the fruits being yellow. We used to live in Santa Fe NM and they had cholla growing wild everywhere, and when we moved, I thought about bringing a cutting or two with me but I never did, and I regretted it, but I ordered some cuttings of several types of chollas through the mail and they came with fruits on them! Then I read you could plant the fruit, or actually, lay the fruits on the soil and the root, or they are supposed to. I have several on there, and being the cactophile that I am I thought I would try it.
I had an opuntia that had some fruits on it, and it blew absolutely totally away in the hurricane :x , but it left some of the fruits in the yard.They are full of seeds, and the shell of the fruits has turned to paper and it's just seeds,so I was wondering what the best way to do that was.
Now that I know how to send photos THANK YOU!!!! Bill!!! I will probably be sending TOO many in now! :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I have been sucessful at rooting cholla fruit before. I think you should be able to treat the fruit just like you would a cutting and grow it from there.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

hey Serious,

Do you know what species the Opuntia was that got blown away was. And what species is the cholla cuttings you are trying to root.
Come spring I could set ya up with some cuttings, I have a few laying around :lol:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/i ... holla1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/i ... /relo2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/i ... 0_1354.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/i ... 0_1356.jpg

Bill