Lotus Land Gardens

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Lotus Land Gardens

Post by templegatejohn »

This is a photograph kindly sent to me by Buck Hemenway, who most of you will know through the Forum. Living in England I very rarely get to see plants at this size unless I go to one of the larger greenhouse complexes. The plant is so imposing I thought it deserved a write up.

Euphorbia ingens

It is a photograph of Euphorbia ingens, taken by Buck at Lotus Land.

This particular species is common in many areas of Africa. It is a wonderful example of what can be achieved with the right growing care and attention and of course the room to grow.

Plants grown in pots will obviously never attain these proportions and if because of our own circumstances this is the only way we can grow our plants, we tend to lose sight of the fact that these plants (true cacti and the succulent families) probably have more diversity in their growing habits than most other plant families on our planet.

The Euphorbias are an excellent example of this with species that are little more than the size of a golf ball, through to large tree-like plants. All Euphorbias have one thing in common, they exude a latex like white milky sap. This is poisonous and an irritant to the skin of humans. The strength of the poison in the sap depends upon the species of Euphorbia, but the sap of all Euphorbias is best avoided and adequate precautions should be taken when handling these plants.

When I talk about the poisonous latex, as I and many others have done hundreds of times. I always feel that I am putting people off what is a wonderful family of plants. There is no doubt about it, to the unwary, or people who do not know about the problem, the dangers are there. But if the plants are treated with the respect they deserve: Cover any open wounds on the hands; wear protective glasses if at all possible when cutting into the plant as in some species the sap is under pressure and can spurt out, in fact, good general awareness, there should be no problems and the plants can be enjoyed to the full.

The plant can make an upright, succulent tree with a dark green crown which is well rounded. In the right conditions it can grow over 30ft. The branches are segmented with spines running along the ridges of the segments. As with most Euphorbias it produces small, greenish yellow flowers on the ridges of the topmost segment of every branch and these appear from autumn to winter. The fruit, a round 3-lobed capsule, turns red to purple when ripening.

This tree prefers the warmth and can go through long periods of drought without any problems. It usually grows on rocky outcrops or in deep sand within bushveld vegetation. Distributed throughout KwaZulu-Natal, Swaziland, Limpopo Province, Gauteng, North-West Province, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and further into tropical Africa.

Please note that though these plants are suitable for gardens, they should not be planted where small children will be playing, because of the milky latex/sap that is very harmful if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes and if ingested.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Wow ! What a plant ! Could make dozens of cuts and it would not even show on the main plant :wink:
Dominique
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Dominique,

It's a pretty amazing plant. Take a look at the growing ends. Ready to start up to 15 feet tall again!

Buck Hemenway
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thank you for this close up, Buck. Where is this garden ?
Dominique
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Dominique,

It is near Santa Barbara, CA. The founder was a reputed opera star who married well and purchased a beautiful 47-acre estate there. She was demanding in her execution of a fantasy land of plantings. The main gardens range from succulents to lotus, to cycads and many other features. One of the most unique plant collections on earth.

A look at their web site is worth while http://www.lotusland.org.
Buck Hemenway
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Thanks for the link. It is great indeed to see the map of the garden and click on each area ! I don't know when it will be possible for me to travel again to California but I'm putting this one on my list.
Dominique
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Dominique,

It's worth it. Keep in mind that the reservations for entry can run as long as three months out.

Buck
Buck Hemenway