Zac's Seedlings 2024

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
zpeckler

Re: Zac's Seedlings 2024

Post by zpeckler »

Just an update... Drying things out and keeping the trays outside has worked wonders! Here's a before and after of two pots of Echinocereus polycephalus that were covered in the fungus/mold. Now I can barely see it on any of the pots!

Echinocactus-polycephalus-mold-before.jpg
Echinocactus-polycephalus-mold-before.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Echinocactus-polycephalus-mold-after.jpg
Echinocactus-polycephalus-mold-after.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Overall I'm getting a lot of germination in most of my species. Pretty happy and very relieved. I don't think I'm totally out of the woods yet, though. I can still see some scant, thin residual fungus/mold on the pots that were the worst infected, but the heat, light, and dryness seem to be keeping things in check.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Lolavy

Post by Lolavy »

Congrats!! I’m super inspired by the turn around you’re seeing in those afflicted pots! I’ve had very bad/sporadic luck recovering from a fungal/mold infection. If you get a chance, I’d love to hear exactly what you did to get this turnaround.
USDA Hardiness Zone: 10b
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Lolavy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am Congrats!! I’m super inspired by the turn around you’re seeing in those afflicted pots! I’ve had very bad/sporadic luck recovering from a fungal/mold infection. If you get a chance, I’d love to hear exactly what you did to get this turnaround.
I wish I had some magic bullet, but I just put them outside with the vents open and let them dry out some per Keith's advice. They've been outside (under dense shade cloth) ever since and I've been misting then every day to keep them from getting too dry. I tried spraying them with hydrogen peroxide, Physan 20, chinosol, and copper fungicide, but none of those made any difference at all. This is my third year sowing seeds so I feel more like the recovery was luck and good advice than any reflection on skill on my part.

Things still feel pretty tenuous because I can still see thin whispy fungus/mold strands on the top of my top dressing, but they're obviously significantly improved. A lot of the seeds have germinated at this point and the little plants are just kinda doing their thing regardless of the strands so far. Keep crossing your fingers, though. I really don't feel like I'm out of the woods.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I haven't followed along completely with this thread

But I can tell you this, a spray of Chinosol ot Physan 20 would kill all that fungus instantly

It's really quite simple,
if you cover your seedlings, everything needs to start out sterile, and stay sterile until you open them up and keep them open
But you can also grow seeds with open containers that don't need to be sterile, like Kieth.

I have open beds in my greenhouse that I throw extra seeds in, and some of them grow like crazy, but it doesn't work for some types of plants
So for those, I used sterile covered seed pots
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry