Newbie member from Tasmania

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TheUnwatered

Newbie member from Tasmania

Post by TheUnwatered »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, but have been interested in cacti and succulents for years now, unfortunately I let my collection turn to dust (luckily some survived) when I moved a few years ago which I regret deeply, especially when I see the price of plants I used to own hahaha :lol: BUT, I am now building up my collection again and looking for a place to connect with like minded people. why is it so hard to make friends as an adult?! :lol:
anyway, I'd love to hear from you all! I live in Tasmania, so if anyone from all the way down here would like to connect and share plant tips and tricks for down here would be great, but of course hearing from anyone with a spikey obsession would be great too :)
I'll stop rambling now, thanks to anyone who reads this and/or replies :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Re: Newbie member from Tasmania

Post by jerrytheplater »

Welcome to the Forum. Post some photos of what you have. Do you have any particularly favorite plants?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Welcome!!!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Welcome! I am interested how are cacti doing in very particular Tasmanian climate.
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

Welcome !
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
ossy96

Post by ossy96 »

Show us your cacti! :D
Son: dad i want a dragon for my birthday
Dad: ask me something more realistic
Son: ok then i want some Consolea falcata seeds
Dad: what colour do you want your dragon to be?
TheUnwatered

Post by TheUnwatered »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I will definitely post a pic tomorrow evening, I only have a few at the moment, but I'm working on it :D
I'm not sure if I have any particular favourites, I do love a good clumping cactus though :)
probably one of my favourites in my own collection would be my old man cactus, he survived many years outside in an unloved corner without care, special hairy guy :lol:
The temperate in Tasmania is pretty good in spring and summer, in summer at the moment and we have good weather for cacti and succulents, although I do keep mine in a mostly shaded, but open, bright location, the sun here can be brutal in summer. I have been keeping an eye on any etiolation, but so far haven't noticed any, so I think they're happy where they are. I am starting to think about winter already, it can get quite frosty here though the nights. May have to get a small greenhouse to pop them in to make sure they stay dry, as my cacti are outside. I will bring a couple in over winter though :)

thanks again guys :)
I appreciate the replies.