Ordering seeds from Europe

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
RichR

Ordering seeds from Europe

Post by RichR »

I recently submitted an order for seeds from Kohres and they told me that the US Customs has gotten much stricter about importing seeds. Phytosanitary certificates and several other forms apparently have to be requested and filled out and it just seems incredibly complicated. Has anyone had a recent experience buying seeds from abroad? I don't really know where to begin and I'm wondering if it is really necessary?
MrXeric

Re: Ordering seeds from Europe

Post by MrXeric »

I ordered seeds from Koehres around January or February and the shipment was seized and destroyed. It was a small order of Pelecyphora aselliformis, a Lophophora seed mix, Epithelantha bokei, and several Turbinicarpus. Customs sent the original package wrapped in tape with a notice inside that listed two reasons for the seizure: lack of phytosanitary certificate and shipment of restricted propagative plant material. I knew the risk in ordering and shipping Lophophora into the US so I kept the order small and didn't bother with a phyto certificate.

In contrast, I also ordered from ADBLPS (based in France) without a phyto and those seeds arrived with no sign that the package was inspected. I ordered from ADBLPS again a couple months later and the package arrived again with no issues. I also ordered from the etsy shop of UnusualSeeds (based in Serbia) and those seeds also arrived with no issue without a phyto.

It may just be luck that the French and Serbian seeds made it through Customs without being inspected. I think that if a phyto certificate is offered, you should buy it (and not order restricted plant material!) Though, it is unfortunate that the phyto certificate will be more expensive than your seed order if you're only buying a small quantity.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Koehres send seeds in a box, the others probably in a bubble wrapped envelope? That makes quite a difference in being picked out, I think!
Also I don't think the US customs is liking to see Lophophora in there. I usually just label the bags with Lophophora seeds differently, when I send seeds to the US of this species.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

The easiest/best way to ensure your seeds from overseas arrive safely and securely is to simply do it legally. Just get a USDA import permit; for seeds only, you can apply for a SLOS (Small Lots of Seeds) permit. A SLOS permit does NOT require you to have a phytosanitary permit or a CITES permit! (unless you want to import more than 50 seeds per species per packet or want to import CITES I species, which most sellers won't do "legally").

It is A LOT easier than people think.

There is a one time setup of your account (when I first setup my first permit with the USDA, you had to go into an office for a brief visit for them to validate your ID, but this may have changed and no office visit is required; regardless, small offices are all over and the one I went to was only 2 blocks from my house). There is NO COST to this process.

Once you setup your ePermit account with APHIS, you submit your request for a permit online (I submit for all the countries I typically order from in a year), and they typically have your permit ready (via PDF) within a couple of weeks (less if you already have gotten a permit in the past or if it is just a renewal).

The biggest PITA is that they now require entry of each Genus you are importing (but not species)...before, I had a blanket permit for all Cactaceae at the Family level. But, I already know pretty much which genera I am interested in, so I add those all to the permit; I can always request another permit or request a modification of my current SLOS permit if I suddenly am entranced by another genus.

This is where you would start the process:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resour ... h-epermits

Once you have your permit, you also request Mailing Labels for the USDA office of your choice (mine is Nogales, since it is the closest to me).
With mailing labels in hand (PDF), you simply send a PDF of your label to the seed vendor and request that they mail the package using the USDA label (NOT to your address), and place the mailing label to yourself (your address) INSIDE the package. Also send them a PDF of the permit, and include that inside the package as well.

When the USDA receives the package, they inspect, then use the label inside the package to relabel the package and send to you (they will contact you to arrange payment of shipping if you choose to ship). They usually turn them around in a matter of a day or two, so there is almost no delay.

There really is no good reason not to do it all above board according to established protocols.
RichR

Post by RichR »

Thanks all for your posts. I have gone the USDA route and submitted an application for import permit. I also will ask Koehres for a phyto certificate. It probably is a good idea to keep overseas orders small in case your shipment is confiscated by US Customs.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

RichR wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 am Thanks all for your posts. I have gone the USDA route and submitted an application for import permit. I also will ask Koehres for a phyto certificate. It probably is a good idea to keep overseas orders small in case your shipment is confiscated by US Customs.
Good to hear! I'm sure all will be fine.
Remember, if you have a SLOS permit and don't import more than 50 seeds per species at a time, no Phytosanitary Permit is required.

I just got a plant order from Kakteen-Haage today with my USDA Plant Import Permit. Easy Peazy.