Seedlings ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
s.kallima

Seedlings ID

Post by s.kallima »

Just in case... thanks for the help!

I got a pack of free mystery seeds in an order (mostly Lithops) from MesaGarden last year. Sown them early 2020, now I am not confident they can be identified (but pretty sure it is not a Lithops!), but just in case this rings a bell to someone :roll:
IMG_5976.JPG
IMG_5976.JPG (101.88 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
IMG_5975.JPG
IMG_5975.JPG (149.57 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
greenknight

Re: Seedlings ID

Post by greenknight »

Much too early to identify them - but I can tell they're getting light that's far too strong. A dark purple color indicates severe light stress, enough to seriously stunt their growth.
Spence :mrgreen:
s.kallima

Post by s.kallima »

Thank you for your answer. I will move them further away from the lights. They were growing along some Epithelantha seedlings that are doing well (around 12" under LED panel (not that strong) so I didn't realize those were being "grilled" :oops:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Cactus seedlings should be green or pink - the exception being Echinopsis mirabilis (syn. Setiechinopsis mirabilis), which is brown in good light. Some of these are so dark purple they're almost black, definitely under stress. Others don't look too bad - likely it's a mixture and some are more sun-tolerant.
7george

Post by 7george »

Some Gymnocalyciums maybe...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Honestly reminds me of some early Ariocarpus seedlings. Matches the description you provided too - they prefer lower light earlier on in life than most seedlings I've grown, also you mentioned these have been growing since early 2020 - a Gymno would be a pretty decent size at this point.

My only question if this was the case is why would MesaGarden be giving these away? They aren't the easiest things out there...and are very slow growing. Also, this color is not too bad for Ario seedlings...stressed, but I wouldn't call them "grilled."

Any chance you can take a macro/close shot of one of the larger seedlings? A seed/seed capsule can also help in this case, but those are much harder to photograph and may have disappeared into the soil.

Edit: typo
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
s.kallima

Post by s.kallima »

Gemhunter178, here are a couple of shots from up close including remaining capsules on second picture. Thanks for the suggestions, it does indeed look like some Ariocarpus... I guess time will tell. There are some "tubercules" just starting to come out of the initial round bodies...
-2_Nov2020.jpg
-2_Nov2020.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
-1_Nov2020.jpg
-1_Nov2020.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Seed casing matches too. I'm guessing either an Ario or a related species.
Mesa does have a bunch of those, though I still question why they gave those as bonus on basis of Arios not being the easiest or fast growing./
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Arios aren't fast but not difficult.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I also think they look like ariocarpus seedlings. And I have received some ario seeds as a gift whilst purchasing others, but from a different source. I guess they are on the old side, and they prefer to give them away rather than dump them in the thrash. Do arios produce a lot of seeds ?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, the large triangular tubercles are characteristic of Ariocarpus. Explains why they're so light-sensitive.
s.kallima

Post by s.kallima »

Thank you all! I will act accordingly!