Some astros..

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
MikeInOz

Some astros..

Post by MikeInOz »

caputmedusae..
P1140115.JPG
P1140115.JPG (103.58 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Superkabuto
P1140112.JPG
P1140112.JPG (130.17 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
crassispinum and kiku or possibly something else which I can't see?
P1140111.JPG
P1140111.JPG (120.74 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
keith

Re: Some astros..

Post by keith »

Astrophytum in the baggie you use fungicide ? I only grow tiny seeds in plastic anymore big cactus seeds rot off to easily the way I grow them.

Look pretty good though nice lava rock top dressing.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

keith wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:49 pm Astrophytum in the baggie you use fungicide ? I only grow tiny seeds in plastic anymore big cactus seeds rot off to easily the way I grow them.

Look pretty good though nice lava rock top dressing.
Hi Keith,
If you are losing seedlings to rot I would suggest that your mix is not balanced, matured and biologically active. When it is, the microbes in it will pretty much rid it of pathogens by using them as food. I mentioned it here.. https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 24#p376624
It takes time to prepare the mix (you need to start the year before sowing) but is almost fool proof. My sowing is finished for this year and I will start preparing next year's compost over summer. I never use fungicide in raising the seeds.
As an aside, you can also use solarization to pasteurize the mix and this kills the pathogens and leaves the beneficial microbes alive.
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Mike,

I just keep them out of baggies and it works out pretty good. I don't microwave the soil and will wet it and let it almost dry before I plant any seeds.

I should soak the seeds in a quick H2O2 because they often seem to carry the fungus on the seed coat. I always forget this important step.

I have some months before I sow any cactus seeds again its winter time here.