Undeveloped bud in dormancy

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
metsolt

Undeveloped bud in dormancy

Post by metsolt »

Hello everyone!

So temperatures dropped, the soil is dry and ready for dormancy.
I am a bit confused by my G. friedrichii buds that started growing in September, long after a previous flower opened and dried up. I am curious about what will happen to the buds now? Will they fall off? Pick it up in the spring?

This guy flowered in August and it stayed open for 13 days, I just could not believe it!
Attachments
20201016_112519.jpg
20201016_112519.jpg (88.86 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
majcka

Re: Undeveloped bud in dormancy

Post by majcka »

If there will be good enough condition will open. If not, it will dry and fall off. I don't believe it will last till spring. [-X
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I also doubt it will last for long.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I still have some Gymno's flowering in my cold greenhouse the UK in spite of the clocks going back for winter at the weekend, therefore it may flower. They too are of the G. mihanovichii group. As others have said it has two chances, it will flower or drop off. Often plants that carry their buds through the winter until Spring will anyway then abort them and produce new ones when the weather warms up.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I brought my cacti from summer greenhouse (+5C) to garage (+10C) with art.lights and many buds are opened now.
G. mihanovichii is very prolific bloomer, there is no reason to worry, it will flower always again and again when it will be suitable for it.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't know if G. friedrichii acts the same, but I had a G. anisitsii ssp. damsii which I bought online in autumn. It arrived with flower buds already on it. Those buds flowered when it got warm enough in the spring, even though that plant had been un-potted and shipped bare root. Buds kept developing as long as the weather was warm enough, they stopped growing when it cooled off - until it warmed up again, then they resumed growing and bloomed.

Like anttisepp says, no reason to worry about it.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

greenknight wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:12 am I don't know if G. friedrichii acts the same, but I had a G. anisitsii ssp. damsii which I bought online in autumn. It arrived with flower buds already on it. Those buds flowered when it got warm enough in the spring, even though that plant had been un-potted and shipped bare root. Buds kept developing as long as the weather was warm enough, they stopped growing when it cooled off - until it warmed up again, then they resumed growing and bloomed.

Like anttisepp says, no reason to worry about it.
Agreed -- although I don't know if this is true about all members of the genus, some Gymno species are good about setting buds late in the growing season and wintering them over, then blooming in spring. My. G stenopleurum has been doing that ever since I got it in 2012.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
metsolt

Post by metsolt »

Thank you, everyone!

This one pushed out buds like crazy and it's still very small.
It will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I may post an update next year.