Just thirsty or a bit sick?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Sun_Love

Just thirsty or a bit sick?

Post by Sun_Love »

Out of accident I came home with a new friend today, I wonder how that happens ;)
To my newbie eyes I think it looks a bit pale... does it look healthy to you experts or maybe a bit sick?
It has lost some spines as you can see the packaging was way too tight. I tried to water it now, but the soil is not absorbing. I understand that I need to repot it asap. Will it be ok with space in a 4" pot or do I need to go bigger? I would like to keep all of them together instead of separating (or is that a bad idea?)
Attachments
20200815_165621.jpg
20200815_165621.jpg (203.37 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
20200815_165201.jpg
20200815_165201.jpg (126.99 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
20200815_165209.jpg
20200815_165209.jpg (190.68 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Jangaudi

Re: Just thirsty or a bit sick?

Post by Jangaudi »

your plant is probably in peat based soil, that's why it's not absorbing any water, as when peat becomes totally dry, it's start to repel water. Apart from that the plant looks rather healthy. You just need to get it out of that soil, or wait until winter.
Here's some info on garden center plants in peat ;)
https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... =25&t=9222
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks like Parodia magnifica (if it's as blue as it appears in this picture, P. warasii is almost identical but bright green), five seedlings that have been potted together. They do clump with age, but not until they're quite large. They do get pretty large, too - up to 15cm in diameter for P. magnifica (P. warasii can get twice that size).

When a pot won't absorb water, plunge it into a container of lukewarm water to above the rim of the pot, and keep it submerged until it stops bubbling. That will help soften it up so you can repot.

They need a bigger pot. You could keep them together temporarily, but they're going to need a lot more space before long - it would be best to separate them.

Here's a video that shows what a well-grown one can develop into: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqkQTRvRXu0

They really are magnificent - maybe if you show people that video, it will help you find homes for some of them.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Plant them in separate bigger pots now, you'll be grateful for advice later :) .
Sun_Love

Post by Sun_Love »

Thank you all for the advice!
So, bigger pots it is, I need to buy new ones. Let's say I put one in each pot, what is an ok size (to last at least a year or more hopefully)? I'm a bit confused because sometimes I read the advice that cacti don't like the pot to be too big. Then I read they need lots of space. I'm just trying to figure out how much is considered enough space? (in inches or centimetres)

I have removed peat before, it's really difficult I think, esp separating several cacti without hurting them (or me lol). I'll do my best!

The video is beautiful! I really like the clumpy format, but if I understand it right, each of these will grow to be a motherplant and then have clumps of it 's own.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A couple of drops of washing up liquid in the water will help the peat re-wet. Not too much though as it usually contains salt as well as detergent. As Spence says peat will rewet if plunged in water though the pot may float at first if the peat is dry.

I usually go when potting up for about a one inch clearance around the plant, but if it has long spines you may need a bigger pot in order to stop it stabbing other plants around it. That is for globular plants, tall growing Cerei may need wider pots so they do not overbalance, but they are usually gross feeders anyway.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a relatively fast-growing species, I think 4 inch pots would hold them for a couple years - maybe put that smallest one in the center in a 3 inch pot. They're not a shallow-rooted species, they like full-depth pots.

The thing about too-large pots is that if you put a cactus with a small root system in a large pot, roots aren't going to reach down into the bottom of that pot for a long time. The soil down there will remain saturated for prolonged periods after watering, and may go sour. It's less likely to be a problem with very free-draining media, or with fast-growing cacti, but it's still best not to use pots that are greatly larger than the existing root ball.

Cleaning the peat off the roots isn't easy, but don't worry too much about losing some roots in the process. Plants maintain a balance between the size of their tops and the size of their root systems, so lost roots will be quickly replaced. The spines on those are not very nasty, fortunately, so I don't think you'll suffer too much damage :D .

DaveW has good points there. A little detergent will work as a wetting agent and make the peat absorb water faster. You probably will need to weight the pot down to keep it submerged, or hold it down for 15 minutes or so.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

PS Repotting is safer and more pleasant with dry roots.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I believe the peat composts the Continental cactus nurserymen use do initially contain a wetting agent, but this is pretty well exhausted by the time the plants reach the retailer. Unlike the nurserymen the stores and garden centres then let the peat dry out. The original nurseries also feed regularly with the watering since the peat is virtually just an hydroponics medium, similar to purely mineral potting soils.

Obviously cacti can be grown in these peat type mixtures very well or the nurserymen would not use them. However they probably never let them dry out and maybe grow them with heat and light throughout the winter. Therefore not really suitable for amateurs who want the soil to dry out for a winter rest and then re-wet it in the spring to promote flowering.

I can't recall seeing all that many cacti flowering at retailers or they would not need to use stuck on straw flowers if that was so. Many of the species sold are small Cerei or plants that need to be very much larger to flower therefore missing a winter rest in the nursery will not matter, but extra growth is saleable. As repeatedly said the potting soil you use needs to suit your climate regarding drying time and your method of cultivation therefore all recommendations given are merely a guide which you need to modify or refine to suit your own situation.
Sun_Love

Post by Sun_Love »

Yes, I've rarely seen flowering ones at the normal stores. IKEA keeps theirs really wet though, last time I bought from there they were soaked, or they happened to be freshly delivered that day.
Watering enough is the tricky part. Our weather is so inconsistent. During a summer there can be weeks of gloom and rain, some sunny days and then heatwaves. Right now we have like CA weather, even though the sun is not as strong. Mine live on the windowsill and that room is at +32 C and has been for some while.
I have been guilty of underwatering. This little guy looked like in the first pic back in May. He had been in a bigger pot with some others and shrunk away, even though I watered? Took away the old soil and put him in a small pot and he's grown so much!! Amazing! And plumps every time I water. I'm not even sure what shape he is supposed to have?
Attachments
20200505_172954.jpg
20200505_172954.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
20200817_163808.jpg
20200817_163808.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That's probably its normal shape, its near-death experience shouldn't have altered that. It's often said that it's better to under-water than over-water, but that's going a bit too far in that direction!

Maybe Echinopsis huascha.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Nice resurrection.
Mb Vatricania guentheri or Weberbauerocereus johnsonii